Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Time for a new thread - baby in Hong Kong and no helper

1. zarasassy85
    zarasassy85
    Hi there
    I am currently in Sydney but it is looking v likely that we may have to move up to HK, i am glad to hear not everyone has a helper, i am more than happy for some help w the washing and ironing and some nightime babysitting but i don't see what a helper would do with the kids that i can't manage already.Also can you ladies help with where's good for kids to live in HK? Am keen to know what you think of Sai Kung. I reallyreally don;t want to leave sydney so am v keen to find a house/villa with some form of private green space for my two girls aged 3 and 19mths. Do you recommend the new territories? Was also looking at Tung Chung on Lantau but think that is a trickier commute for my husband back to Central...?
  2. Ingela
    Ingela
    Hello,

I agree, there's no need for full time helper unless you have to work.

Sai Kung is a beautiful place. Haven't lived there myself but if we were to move, that's where we'd go, especially if you have kids and want a garden :) Good space in HK can be hard to find as it is very expensive but if you're willing to live closer to the countryside it should be fine.

Tung Chung is great as well, that's were me and my husband live with our 8 months old daughter. It is very friendly and family orientated and a lot of green areas and parks. The flat complex have good facilities with swimming pool, barbeque area and playgrounds etc. We live here partly because of that and partly cause it's close to the airport where my husband works. It will take you 30 minutes by MTR to go to Central so it's not too bad. I've heard there's a direct bus from here as well during rush hours.
    Anyway, good luck. If you do end up in TC, give us a shout.
    Ingela
  3. titti
    titti
    Hi ladies,
    my family and I arrived in HK a week ago from NYC. We are currently staying at Pacific Place in Admiralty. I also do not work and I do not have a helper. As all of you have said, I have hard time to accept the concept of having a stranger in my home or taking care of my 2 year old boy.
    I am looking forward to meet others non working moms that live in the area, anybody interested for some time together at the Hong Kong Park?
    Ciao Cristina
  4. babygaboo
    babygaboo
    Hi everyone,

We just moved to HK with a 9 month old and a dog. I am still trying to adjust to being a mom, taking care of the house, baby, dog, etc (The list of chores and things I have to do goes on forever!!!) I do not have a full-time/live-in helper but honestly, being a full time mom is exhausting! There are good days and bad days. I would love to meet up with some of you moms too. I will message you, Cristina and see when you are free to meet up.
  5. Ser
    Ser
    Hi everyone,

We also just moved to HK from Tokyo about a month ago with a 3 month old baby girl. I have decided to be a stay home mum with no helper and yes it is absolutely exhausting. Its 24 x 7, no annual leave, no off day and the pay sucks! But it is exceptionally rewarding. I spent a lot of time around my apartment compound and I thought I will meet a lot of other mums but to my surprise I met a lot of helpers instead. I saw 2 trends that reaffirm my decision to stay home without a full-time helper.

1) Very pleasant helper with Children who are totally attached to them - it made me sad to imagine my child spending her precious childhood with a helper and sharing all those precious happy moments with someone else but me.
    2) Very unpleasant helper yelling at the children - it made me angry to see such verbal abuse.

The conclusion is either way I am not happy so I guess I made the right choice.

Babygaboo, Cristina and other stay-home mummies - hope to meet up soon.
  6. titti
    titti
    Hi Ser,
    may I ask you where do you live?I am desperately looking for an area kid friendly where I can walk to grocery store or to playgrounds. Can you give me any advice?
    Ciao Cristina
  7. Ser
    Ser
    Hi Cristina,

We live in Bel-Air, Pokfulam.
    When we arrived, we had a relocation agent to show us various parts of Hong Kong and just like you our criteria is kid friendly and convenient with supermarket nearby. We saw a few such places including Belcher's in Kennedy Town, Repulse Bay, Discovery Bay...in the end we picked Bel-Air as it best fit what we wanted. Great facilities, some green (good enough for HK standard), seaview and cyberport is right next door with supermarket, restaurants, cinema, Starbucks... The commute to Central is only 20 mins for my husband by the Shuttle bus. So far, we love it here.

If you are free some time this week in the late morning, we can meet for coffee at Cyberport (15mins by Taxi from Admiralty) and look around the area.

Serene
  8. titti
    titti
    Hi Ser,
    I saw 2 apartments in Bel-air last sunday.
    It is probably the best area for kids and for the budget that I have seen so far. I am happy to hear that you like it. Are there enough things to do for a non working mum with a 2 years old?
    Last time I was there it was very wait.
    I will love to meet for coffee and have a better semse of the area.
    Does it work for you tomorrow around 10:30am?
    Ciao Cristina
  9. sandrarodrigues
    sandrarodrigues
    Hello to everyone! I have been in HK for 3 weeks today and am getting a bit desperate...I have a 19 month old daughter and NO helper either. I was thinking about getting a job here but the idea of leaving my little girl with a complete stranger sends chills up and down my spine! I have decided to be'' a mom at home without a helper''...the thing is, I do miss being social with other moms and their babies! Would love to meet up with some moms who are in the same situation...and would love my little girl to make some new friends too...Anybody out there? I am really starting to feel the culture shock and miss home :(
  10. KBear
    KBear
    Hi all, glad to see so many mums without helpers, thought I was alone! I have a 10 week old daughter & as many of you have said yes it is tough but so very rewarding.
    Couldn't imagine handing my little girl over to a stranger, I certainly wouldn't have done it in the UK so don't see why it's expected of me here!
    Anyone want to meet up for coffee?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scroll to top