Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prams

leetaylor is offline Registered User

Prams

Hello All,

I have been looking at Prams for our baby that is due in 3 weeks. Please could I ask for your experiences of what prams are most suitable for HK life? I have looked at Graco models, Bugaboo and Quinny, but I can't decide as they all have pros and cons.

Thank you in adviance for any comments.

KR

Lee

newbiekt is offline Registered User

if i was buying again i would definitely get a bugaboo bee - quinny buzz would be second choice. plus maxi cosi car seat which fits on either.

elle is offline Registered User

There are a lot of variables and you might want to provide more info - where do you live, what is your main mode of transport, do you have a car, etc.

I have a Quinny Zapp with carseat adaptors for quick trips in the car to restaurants, malls, etc. and a Bugaboo Chameleon for neighborhood walks. But, where we live in an area that is pretty low density, not too hilly, has bumpy but wi***sh sidewalks and we do not take the bub on busses or the MTR ever.

The Bugaboo would be very hard (and heavy) to move around on public transport I wouldn't even consider it for that use. Its actually a bit too big to haul around and I only use it for neighborhood walks, which I love it for - nice ride for baby, easy to push and steer, and looks nice. Didn't use the cot bit for long, even with a newborn and now it just gets in the way in our apartment, taking up way too much storage space. I also think the Chameleon is WAY overpriced in HK though and bought mine on a trip home for much less (almost half the price) that I would have paid here.

I wouldn't have the Quinny Zapp as a primary stroller in HK because its not terribly sturdy, a bit bumpy on HK's sidewalks (no spring suspension) but fine indoors, has NO storage space and you cannot hang a bag off the back. It is totally unsuitable for a newborn without the car seat. But, its great as a second stroller and for short trips in the car and for travelling.

If I lived in a more urban area I would probably opt for the Bugaboo Bee, which many of my friends here use. Its small enough to fold up for transport, sturdy enough and with a bit of storage to carry shopping.

penguinsix is offline Registered User

I think my first question would be do you have a car? If so you will probably want one with an infant car seat that 'plops' into the pram, at least for the first few months. We had a Graco that we used when an infant, but that was when we had a car and could throw the slightly larger pram part in the trunk. Would be slightly more difficult to manage into a taxi and a bit bigger for a crowded subway.

If you are angling for one with a car seat, look at those that have car seats that can a) use a base, like when in your own car and/or b) can use a standard seat belt for attaching when you are in a taxi or some other car, if you are using taxis often.

jojojo is offline Registered User

I've got a quinny buzz and I went on the mtr and he slept through it all. It's a little big but it's doable. Totally love it. We were deciding between a bugaboo bee and quinny buzz but quinny won.

leetaylor is offline Registered User

Thank you all.

I will be mainly using public transport when travelling around most likely taxi and mtr.

alfa is offline Registered User

I have bugaboo bee and it's really good for taxis - you can unclip the car seat easily. Also goes thru most aisles in shops etc.I take a bus nearly every day and no issues - sometimes the bus driver will tell you to fold the pram if its very busy - I try to avoid the rush hour.
    Buy the new version tho as it will last for longer(it's bigger and it has a wider seat)

penguinsix is offline Registered User

The other oddity I would mention is wheelbase. Our cuurent stroller for a toddler is about 2 inches too wide for the standard MTR gate. This means using the wide handicapped gates or up and over, which can be a pain. You might want to consider a slightly narrower wheelbase if MTR is going to be common.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast