Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Would you move to HK again?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

We have moved back three times and this is our first on an 'expat' package of any kind. My answer is yes. Even on most local packages tax in your home country means you will get more here!

With a two year old you don't have a lot more time left before you need to stay put for education purposes (we don't want to moving when the kids are in school). Again, another reason to give it a go now.

My two cents! Good luck with it all.

solidstars is offline Registered User

if your child turns 3 in august you better start emailing all the schools you have your eye on now! applications for K1 were last year!

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I came to HK 10 years ago and lived here for a year as a single university student. After returning to the States (where I'm from) I ended back in China a couple of years later and re-met my now-husband, a HK local. We married in HK, lived in Mainland China for awhile and have been back in HK for about 5 years. HK has been a big part of how my life has turned out so far so I wouldn't have not come here if I could do it all over again. We now have two small children--3 1/2 and 3 months-old.

Although HK has been good to us in many ways--my husband's family live here and we are able to earn a better living than we probably would if we were in the States, we plan to leave HK as soon as we are financially/practically able to. The pollution is getting really bad and we just feel like the quality of life our children will have here isn't what it could be elsewhere--we're not talking about money issues here--it's more like grassy public parks, blue skies all year round and stargazing anytime. We are dependent on public transportation which sometimes can be scary (I have a post here you can see about our village mini-bus problems). Also, maybe it's because we live a very local lifestyle, but we both just get fed up with how rude people can be here. Even my husband who spent his entire life in this city is pretty fed up.

For financial reasons we haven't been able to travel around Asia like some other posters on this site and we haven't been back to the States in over 3 years because whenever we get a chance to fly (usually in the summer) the airline tickets for our family are extremely expensive and we simply don't have the money to go. I often have the feeling that HK is a playground for rich people--in order to really enjoy the "finer things" you've got to have money. Where I'm from there is a lot of public space--like green parks that are free for use--but those types of places don't really exist in HK. That's my perception, though based on our particular circumstances. So, we do deal with the feeling of being "stuck" in this city. However, if you're being brought to HK through your husband's work and the company guarantees housing and travel then these might not even be issues for you at all.

But, the nice thing about HK is that you can come and go as you please. People move in and out of this city all the time--the population is always in flux so it just seems easier to come and try it for a time and if you find you want to go back then you just feel open to that option.

Good luck with your choice!

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User

great post, thanka!

komo is offline Registered User

Carang, simply because you disagree with my comments (which is fine) does not make them innacurate. We know you have been here for 10 years, so clearly you do enjoy and love Hong Kong, why else would you be here for so long otherwise. The original poster asked for my opinion, and I gave her my honest opinion. You are right, we do live on HK island where it is very congested, much more than say the NT. But we don't live out there purely because of the communte. I have many friends in the NT, many in large complexes like mine (which can also feel congested), and many in houses. So it is not like I am unfamiliar with what you refer to.

I have travelled across many major cities in Australia, Asia, Europe and US. And compared to western cities (and what I assume Florida is like), I think it does feels quite dirty and polluted. The quality of food and living standards are not as high as probably one from Florida is used to.

And as for the Pollution, we live in Pokfulam on the water, and majority of the year (probably at least 80% of the time), I can't even see Lamma which our apartment looks directly out to. Yes we are currently having a few days where my view feels like I am looking at a HD TV, but that is honestly rare. In fact so rare, I get my camera out on the good days. We actually get excited when we see the moon!

And as I mentioned in my initial post, yes I agree, my children probably are ill so often due to the population density, but you can't deny the fact that that pollution is any good for their lungs. Why does it take them 3 weeks to get over a simple cough here when in other countries it lasts 2 days. My doctor agrees that it is environmental, including the vertical way of living, small spaces, and of course, the pollution. So many friends agree, I am not the only person thinking along these lines.

Sure we can escape and move to the NT, but if we compare HK to other major cities, if I was to live the same time frame out, I am confident I wouldn't have the same issues.

As for escape, I am referring to holidays. Where I have had holidays and where I am from, you can jump in the car an take a driving holiday. I miss that, and again, why I feel like it is hard to actually escape HK when you need a break.

The poster asked for my opinion, and I strongly stand by it. You are welcome to yours and I do believe it is healthly for the original poster to hear from people from different areas. After all, we don't know where she expects to live, where her husband will work, and what her expectations, or standard of living requirements will be. Hence why I recommended a trip out here to check it out for herself. I do feel like people either love it or don't like here, I think we are from those two opposite scales - which again - I think it is healthy for this person to hear.

Mia Bella is offline Registered User

I agree with komo completely. You have to ask yourself why are you here for? Quality living and clean air- none, making money- yes. (which most foreigners are here for, we are)

carang is offline Registered User

komo, of course you are entitled to your opinion and to share it. what i was objecting to was that it didn't sound like opinion, rather you stated it as fact. and in fact, you CAN get less congestion etc, but you have to compromise.

FYI, the new place that we are moving to, is a 39 minute train ride from Central. so, granted, it's not a 10 minute taxi ride, but it's not like it's a 3 hour commute either.

i, too, have a deep disgust of the pollution. it has changed so much over the past 16 years that it also makes me seriously consider moving "home".

thanka's post was also fairly negative about hk but i thought it was a great post. so, i'm not disagreeing simply because you don't like hk. i was disagreeing with what i viewed were inaccuracies/misrepresentations within it.

sorry if you took such offense to it.

as for the "escape" sorry. i misunderstood. i, too, have lamented the "lack of road trips" here.

Biggie is offline Registered User

I guess everyone also have different definition of "quality living". We find our quality o life much better here than in London and NYC where we used to live. Granted we are probably having more money to spare than some locals, but comparing what we can get for the same money here vs in London or NYC, we find it "cheaper" here, except for housing. E.g. Transport, domestic help, restaurants, local food, household goods, vacation. I think it really depends on what you are comparing to and what your expectation is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast