Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad Experience in St Theresa Hospital

JoyousBaby is offline Registered User

Bad Experience in St Theresa Hospital

I came to Hkg in Feb and in April I got pregnant. I had spotting then and thought it was my period as it was the time of the month, but I could feel some discomfort so heed some advice, friends recommended me to St. Theresa Hospital and after much long queue, get to see this male doctor. After few scan he told me he can't see any thing in the sac, could be too early and was sent home without any injection or medication. Following day I was bleeding profusely and had bad cramps, so we called the hospital and doctor wants me to be admitted right away.
    After 1 hour of waiting and in pain, they managed to get all papers done and brought me to the room, I asked the nurse when can I see the doctor or what are the procedures or is there any medication to stop the pain and bleeding?? "Wait doctor will come see u, take blood test first"... is all about waiting and it was 3pm.. after blood test about 5pm I was running out of patience and insist to talk to the doctor, I can't be bleeding like this... Finally at 830pm I got to see the doctor and with a few scan, oh I was having ectopic pregnancy and I need to have operation right away!! I was in shock and doubt the efficiency of the doc, I asked lots of ques and he was really really impatient with me. Said its up to me but is life threatening and it might burst anytime.
    I have to remove my whole fallopian tube, I was told. I demanded to be discharged right away.. I just simply don't trust what I've just heard so went to seek 2nd opinion.
    Now in into 11 wks gestation and was not even ectopic pregnancy! Thank God I was not silly enough to go thru what that doc had told me. To get rid of my fallopian tube? Ridiculous..
    Hope everything turn out well for me and this pregnancy..
    Wish all mum to be, healthy and happy too.. God Bless

Papaya is offline Registered User

Well done for getting out of that in time and for trusting your own judgement.

charade is offline Registered User

Wow that is truly scary!

JoyousBaby is offline Registered User

So no matter what I'm not going back to that hospital. Because of this I start to have doubts and insisting I wanna go back to my country to deliver. Unfortunately, my partner is not thrilled about this idea. I should not be so unfair cos of 1 hospital and doc, I have no faith in others. Will have to decide soon as most hospitals are full till Jan 2012.
    oh dear

ozmerc is offline Registered User

Good on you for getting a second opinion. One of the problems with the user pays private hospital system is that they do have a financial incentive to find something wrong with you. Not saying that most docs would do that, but it is worrying. I had one friend who was advised by a private doc she needed a D&C after an early miscarriage, which she did immediately at great expense. But she was only 5 weeks pregnant at the time and in my experience (2 early miscarriages) they usually don't need to be done. I was very surprised the doc told her to do it immediately.

There are many off putting aspects of the maternity system here. If you stick with public, stuff like this is probably less likely to occur because they tread more cautiously and of course have no financial incentive to advise unnecessary surgery. But there are some good OBGYNs, you just need to do the homework to find the right one for you. You shouldn't have to go home to deliver.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

OUTRAGEOUS.

Contact a lawyer and then file a formal complaint with the hospital authority detailing your experience and the doctors negligence. He nearly cost you your baby and half your chances of ever getting pregnant again.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Agree with the above, I really do think this is a case where you should contact the health authority with a formal complaint. Sorry you had to go through this.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    OUTRAGEOUS.

Contact a lawyer and then file a formal complaint with the hospital authority detailing your experience and the doctors negligence. He nearly cost you your baby and half your chances of ever getting pregnant again.
    In order for any complaint to be taken seriously by the Hospital Authority or Medical Council, you will need to have some form of evidential proof to back it up otherwise they'll most likely not take the time to investigate your complaint. From a legal perspective, it's also very hard to prove negligence because the legal standard is pitched very high indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast