Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Medela pump cannot express milk

a mum is offline Registered User

Medela pump cannot express milk

I have recently bought a medela mini electric single head pump when my baby is 7 months old and have started solid. I am not sure if the pump is too weak to express any milk or my supply is too low to pump any out? The reason why I wanted to get a compact breast pump is because I am staying with my parents for a short while and they can help me to feed the baby when I am out. Any advise if I should get a more powerful one at this stage to try again (I am worried that my milk supply is too low to pump now since baby has started solid). If so, which model should I go for (I dont want to go for the top model coz I already have one back home)?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I always found it hard to pump when I was exclusively breastfeeding. The best thing that worked for me was just pumping once a day first thing in the morning before the baby had fed. I think the "problem" is that the baby can get the milk much more efficiently, so even though the pump isn't getting any milk doesn't mean that you have supply issues. Try pumping first thing in the morning instead, if you haven't already!! Or pump BEFORE feeding the baby instead of after.

Also personally, I found that the hand pumps were more effective than the small cheap electric one that I had - although I've never tried the medela mini electric so I can't comment on that one in particular... My fav hand pump was the Medela Harmony (I think it's called), then followed by the Avent Isis.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User

I had an electric medela with my first and could get almost no milk. I switched to an advent manual pump and was able to get much more milk. Not sure why but it might be worth a try.

kindredspirit is offline Registered User

I also could not get much milk with my Medela Swing. I then got the Avent Isis electric one and got much more from that. I also found it a lot more comfortable.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

nicolejoy, did you buy your avent isis in Hk? If so, where? How much did it cost? Thnx.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Yes I bought it in Hong Kong, but it was about 2 years ago and I can't remember where/how much. My Isis is just the hand pump which worked fine for me. I've seen them at a bunch of places - the baby stores, but also some WingOns and other department stores. It's probably cheaper in the department stores. I can keep an eye out for you if you want?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

nicolejoy, thanks. I am looking for a double electric pump. I have a Medela Pump-in-Style but am thinking about trying something new. Anything that's gentler on my nipples would be great and also I'm having such bad milk supply problems right now that I'm willing to try anything.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

rani is offline Administrator

For me I would pump while nursing. I would only give baby one breast and pump the other.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast