Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

"China Card" for Permanent Residents Traveling on US Passport

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

If your kids get the Chinese nationality FIRST (ie, at birth), then you can get a 2nd nationality. However if you have another nationality and then want to get Chinese nationality, it is much harder to do without renouncing your original nationality.

And yes, you NEED Chinese nationality to get a HKSAR passport or a "China card". Non-nationals, even those with permanent ID cards, are not eligible.

Our kids have both Chinese and Australian nationalities, since they were Chinese at birth and then became Australian by descent. From my understanding though, if they were born in Australia and then wanted to apply for Chinese nationality, they would need to renounce their Australian nationality in order for them to do that. That was one of the main reasons why our kids were born in Hong Kong - it's the easiest way for them to be dual citizens, something that may be of benefit to them in the future. It gives them more options...

evgreen is offline Registered User

I only have Canadian citizenship. I am considered a chinese national only by descent and the fact that I was born in HK. I wouldn't be able to apply for Chinese citizenship unless I gave up my Canadian one. I am eligible for the HKsar passport, but have never applied for one. HK residency can be so confusing sometimes!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

evgreen - if you have a HK permanent ID with three stars (right of abode), then you have Chinese nationality. It's not exactly the same as being a "Chinese Citizen", but the HK equivalent.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    If your kids get the Chinese nationality FIRST (ie, at birth), then you can get a 2nd nationality. However if you have another nationality and then want to get Chinese nationality, it is much harder to do without renouncing your original nationality.

And yes, you NEED Chinese nationality to get a HKSAR passport or a "China card". Non-nationals, even those with permanent ID cards, are not eligible.

Our kids have both Chinese and Australian nationalities, since they were Chinese at birth and then became Australian by descent. From my understanding though, if they were born in Australia and then wanted to apply for Chinese nationality, they would need to renounce their Australian nationality in order for them to do that. That was one of the main reasons why our kids were born in Hong Kong - it's the easiest way for them to be dual citizens, something that may be of benefit to them in the future. It gives them more options...
    However, as I understand it, the States is different...you are not allowed "dual citizenship" and definitely not with China. So, whether they are born in the States or here, or order to have Chinese citizenship (nationality) they wouldn't be able to keep their US citizenship. And for us, having our kids have US citizenship and passports at this point makes more sense than having Chinese citizenship and HK passports because if that was the case, we'd have to get visas for them to travel to the States even to see my family and when they get older if they choose to study in the States then that would present problems too.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    evgreen - if you have a HK permanent ID with three stars (right of abode), then you have Chinese nationality. It's not exactly the same as being a "Chinese Citizen", but the HK equivalent.
    Pretty sure our kids would have "right of abode", right? Why wouldn't they? They are equally Chinese by descent as they are "American" by descent, right? That makes sense...but I don't know.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    However, as I understand it, the States is different...you are not allowed "dual citizenship" and definitely not with China.
    You have misunderstood something and are definitely mistaken:
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

There are thousands (if not tens of thousands) that hold dual US/Chinese citizenships.

A useful primer : http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

lesliefu is offline Registered User

China will not allow dual citizenship - but in order to 'get it' you would have to apply for China first then your 'other' citizenship. if you are born in HK then you should be eligible for the HKSAR even with another citizenship - but if you are not born in HK then you have to renounce whatever passport you hold because the HK Gov will not allow dual citizenship because China does not allow it. my kids have both because i applied for HKSAR first and then as a Canadian I applied for the canadian passport for them too - no problem...then i got the 'return home permit' for them with no difficulty.

having 3 stars only means that you have the rights to remain 'permanently' in HK but it does not mean you are a citizen. apparently the letter codes next to the 3 stars give you away - in the sense that it indicates that you were not born in HK but have spent the required time in HK to become a permanent resident. i am literally the only person in my whole family (including extended) that does not have a return home permit (even though many others were also not born in HK) because they decided to enforce the rules more stringently when i finally got my act together to apply....sucks being me - i have to get a visa to visit china every time!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    sucks being me - i have to get a visa to visit china every time!
    You do have to get a chop everytime but with your 3* you should be able to get a 3 year visa without too much difficulty.
    If you dont want to get a visa at all, you could also look into getting an APEC card:
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hktraveldoc_4.htm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast