Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Got that "Drained" Feeling? Breastfeeding....

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Question Got that "Drained" Feeling? Breastfeeding....

So, I'm and pumping and I am noticing that I feel DRAINED...in more ways than one.

I went to sleep with my preschooler last night--I went to tuck him into bed and fell asleep with him at 8:30 pm! I slept until 7:30 am this morning and I still feel EXHAUSTED! The more I feed and the more I pump the more I physically feel completely spent.

I'm taking a high-quality supplement and fish oil. I am getting a lot of sleep. My work isn't really all that stressful right now and I'm trying to eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies but...still...I just feel DEAD-tired all the time.

Do any other breastfeeding mamas feel like this? Does anything in particular help you get your energy/strength back?

Last edited by thanka2; 06-28-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I'm pumping and I'm always tired, but I think that's because I don't get my 8 hours sleep a night ;) I NEED my 8 hours sleep. I find that pumping keeps me up later, getting that one last pump in before bed... but I don't think it's the "milk production" that makes me so tired, I think it's the lack of sleep ;)

rebekah is offline Registered User

I think it's just a mommy thing more than a pumping thing. Pumping is hard work but it's a personal decision whether or not to continue. I know there are some online forums for exclusively pumping mothers, but I'm sure you've already read them, as it seems you research things quite extensively. Extreme fatigue is more likely low iron or low vitamin D than breastfeeding. Further, If you are trying to lose weight you may not be getting enough calories.

Quote Originally Posted by rebekah View Post
    I think it's just a mommy thing more than a pumping thing. Pumping is hard work but it's a personal decision whether or not to continue. I know there are some online forums for exclusively pumping mothers, but I'm sure you've already read them, as it seems you research things quite extensively. Extreme fatigue is more likely low iron or low vitamin D than breastfeeding. Further, If you are trying to lose weight you may not be getting enough calories.
    Hmmm....I dunno...I've been a mommy for awhile now (about 4 years) and have NEVER felt like this before.

But, you do have a good point about it being low iron or vitamin D so I'll check into that.

As far as pumping and breastfeeding goes, at this point, yes, I do have the choice of whether or not to keep going on...but, my choice is really affected by the fact that my daughter reacts horribly to formula. When we tried forumal with her (a very good, reputable, organic formula) she was so sick that she was constipated for 3 days, screamed and cried continually and wouldn't sleep (she has pretty much slept through the night since birth and is so calm and peaceful, rarely cries, even when hungry). Finally, when she passed all of the formula out of her system she was calm again. It was an awful thing to watch. So, that has made my choice to put her on formula somewhat not an option right now. And I do work full-time so pumping is also not an option I can choose or not choose.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

lalligirl is offline Registered User

I'd also recommend checking your B12 levels - i had pernicious anaemia for a bit, & was exhausted. I got a B12 shot & almost instantly felt better. I also find that pumping/working/breastfeeding takes it out of me & am always fighting to stay awake when i put my 2 year old down for the night...sometimes (often?) i lose! hope you can figure it out... it's nearly holidays, so maybe taking one thing (work) out of the equation will help.

Flack is offline Registered User

I second getting your Vit D and Iron checked. I felt terrible after almost a year of breastfeeding and my Vit D level was almost non existent and iron very low also. It didn't take long on supplements to feel a lot better.

carang is offline Registered User

not to mention that you are now mummy of 2 which is A LOT different to mummy of 1....

Excellent suggestions, ladies! I am definitely going to have my blood tested for deficiencies. Laligirl, where did you go for a vitamin B shot? What type of iron supplementation do you ladies use?

Mother of Two

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast