Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Deciding between a natural birth or planned c-section: Pros & cons?

appledai is offline Registered User

It seems most of you support natural delivery. I am still struggling. What I consider is which is better for the baby. I am very sensitive to the pain. I worry if I have enough power to push BB out. If I fail to do so because of pain, the baby will be dangerous. In HK public system, I can not ask drug in public hospital. I am so afraid. I love the BB so much I just want to make sure there is no uncertainty. If I choose C-section, does it mean I do something wrong?

mazamarie is offline Registered User

appledai - If you are going through the public system you will not be able to decide which way you would like to have your baby. The only way they will do a c-section is for medical reasons. Also they have all the drugs you will require in the public system and you can ask for them when needed.

appledai is offline Registered User

I also booked private for C-section 10 days before due time. I am thinking which is better for the bb. private c-sec or public natural delivery?

Anne1212 is offline Registered User

Agree with mazamarie in public hospital u could only have c-section if the doctor think there is a need for one. Also during natural birth u could have all sort of things to help to relieve pain. I had! Won't go ino details here but the only problem with my case was I had epidural when I was already 7-8 open which was way way too late and a waste of time at the end. So if u decide to have epidural (which is another decision to make), make sure u let the doctors know as early as possible so that they can give it to you as early as needed.

Could share my friend's case. It took them quite a bit of time to get pregnant so their baby was very very precious to them. She was very very sensitive to pain. For a long time she struggled to decide whether to do c section or go natural because thinking c section might mean one less complication at least for baby (cord around neck) and no pain for her, but on the otherhand go natural really signals and prepare the mummy and baby ready physically for the birth and with a plus mummy recovers much quicker. At the end she chose to go natural because she reckons with better recovery she could get up to speed better with her newborn baby. She was pleased with her decision.

elle is offline Registered User

appledai,

you should really do more research in order to better understand the risks (and the pain) associated with a c-section versus a natural delivery, before making some of the assumptions that you do. There is a lot of uncertainty both during and after a c-section for both mother and the child. If you are "very sensitive to pain" a c-section is a pretty poor choice as it is a major operation, and can be acutely painful shortly after the procedure and also very painful for weeks afterwards. There is also an increased risk of complications for both mother and child with a c-section. If you end up having complications from a c-section operation it can be much more difficult to care for your newborn in the days and weeks following the surgery.

additionally, if you are really concerned about your baby you should re-evaluate that c-section a week and a half before your expected due date. If the child is born too early via c-section there are a number of problems and risks, from breathing problems to more serious developmental delays, that you may encounter. ultimately it is your choice, but from your posts your seemingly pro-c-section stance seems quite uninformed. A list of the more common risks associated with c-sections, for both mother and baby, is copied below. I stronly suggest you read it and speak with your doctor about these risks, particularly as you have booked a c-section pretty early before your due date.

Risks and Complications for the Mom:

Take into account that most of the following risks are associated with any type of abdominal surgery.

Infection: Infection can occur at the incision site, in the uterus and in other pelvic organs such as the bladder.

Hemorrhage or increased blood loss: There is more blood loss in a cesarean delivery than with a vaginal delivery. This can lead to anemia or a blood transfusion (1 to 6 women per 100 require a blood transfusion).

Injury to organs: Possible injury to organs such as the bowel or bladder (2 per 100).

Adhesions: Scar tissue may form inside the pelvic region causing blockage and pain. This can also lead to future pregnancy complication such as placenta previa or placental abruption.

Extended hospital stay: After a cesarean, the normal time in the hospital is 3-5 days after giving birth if there are no complications.

Extended recovery time: The amount of time needed for recovery after a cesarean can extend from weeks to months, having an impact on bonding time with your baby (1 in 14 report incisional pain six months or more after surgery).

Reactions to medications: There can be a negative reaction to the anesthesia given during a cesarean or reaction to pain medication given after the procedure.

Risk of additional surgeries: Such as hysterectomy, bladder repair or another cesarean.

Maternal mortality: The maternal mortality rate for a cesarean is greater than with a vaginal birth.

Emotional reactions: Women who have a cesarean report feeling negatively about their birth experience and may have trouble with initial bonding with their baby.

Risks and Complications for the Baby:

Premature birth: If gestational age was not calculated correctly, a baby delivered by cesarean could be delivered too early and be low birth weight.

Breathing problems: When delivered by cesarean, a baby is more likely to have breathing and respiratory difficulties. Some studies show an increased need for assistance with breathing and immediate care after a cesarean than with a vaginal delivery.

Low APGAR scores: Low APGAR scores can be the result of anesthesia, fetal distress before the delivery or lack of stimulation during delivery (vaginal birth provides natural stimulation to the baby while in the birth canal). Babies born by cesarean are 50% more likely to have lower APGAR scores than those born vaginally.

Fetal injury: Rarely, the baby may be nicked or cut during the incision (1 to 2 babies per 100 will be cut during the surgery).

Last edited by elle; 06-29-2011 at 02:53 PM.

charade is offline Registered User

Appledai, from everything I have read, a natural birth is better for the baby compared to a c-section, unless there are complications with mother and child that recommend a c-section. Do you have complications due to which you were recommended to have a c-section? The baby signals when it wants to come out, when the body thinks it is ready. The baby does not have to process any drugs. The body kicks into breastfeeding mode immediately (takes a little longer with c-sec), the mums body recovers quicker (though not sure this was true for me, my epistiomy took bloody long). Your body will make sure you push the baby out, it is almost uncontrollable. If for some reason it is not happening, the doctor/midwife will help you. If you are afriad of pain, you can have an epidural. Apparently, these are available even in public but with me, there was some confusion and I didn't get one. The weird thing was the nurse asked me if I wanted one, I said I would like to try to see if I could bear the pain on my own and when was the latest I could let her know, she gave me a time... within that time I asked for the epidural but then they acted like they had never offered it and I couldn't get one. So next time I will try to go private. Even without an epidural, the pain is bad but you can and will get through it. If you had already booked a private hospital, I presume you have paid a deposit. You can still go natural in the private system... and it would be cheaper too.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Other people have already said this, but just to add another voice - a natural birth is better for BOTH mother AND baby unless there are definite medical reasons for needing a C section. It is also a much faster recovery, and much less pain in the recovery period as well. If you are going to a public hospital, they WILL have pain relief options such as an epidural if you are scared of the pain associated with natural birth. Getting a C section is not "bad" or "wrong" if you choose to do that, BUT if you are wanting to know what is better for the baby and the mother, natural birth is better. So if you want to choose a C section, don't choose it for the wrong reasons :)

carang is offline Registered User

after two emergency c-sections (you can do a search to read my horror story), i would take a natural/vaginal birth any day of the week and twice on sunday.

it is a terrible misconception that a c-section = no pain. it is a ridiculous notion.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast