Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Malaysia Airlines Bans Babies in First Class

rani is offline Administrator

Malaysia Airlines Bans Babies in First Class

Malaysia Airlines announced they are extending their first class baby ban on their new Airbus A380 jumbo jets, coming out in June 2012.

Babies have already been banned from first class, on their current Boeing 747-400 flights.

The A380 jets will make long-haul flights between Kuala Lumpur and Sydney, London and Amsterdam.

What do you think?

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Great! They should extend the ban to Business as well.

People who are paying big premiums for these seats should not be inconvenienced by a bothersome and noisy human; whether it be a noisy adult or a whining baby.

burrcl is offline Registered User

Can't say I've any problem with. They've obviously judged that it won't affect their margins in any negative way, and possibly even improve it. There are plenty of other airlines that people can choose to fly with, should they wish to travel first wtih a baby.

Out of interest though, what is their cut off age? A lot of airlines class infants only up to 2 years old, and we all know that just because a child turns 2, it doesn't automatically shut them up!

Liquorice is offline Registered User

I think it is fine to ban it in First Class so people have an option if they want to be in a baby-free environment, but I wouldn't agree with babies being banned in business. There should be options for everybody, and that entails an option for mothers & babies to enjoy premium travel too. I flew business back to the UK recently with my 5 month old. I noticed the disappointment of the passengers around me as I took my seat, but my baby didn't make a sound. On either journey. "Baby" doesn't necessarily equal noise.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

I travel a lot and have traveled with 3 kids as well as for business. I can say that most, vast majority, probably in excess of 98% of babies are quiet and delightful on planes. They coo once in a while, a quiet burp and then sleep.

Its the select one or 2 memorable ones that scream for 6-8 hours that stay in ones mind etched forever in our brains.

elle is offline Registered User

Its a business decision so the airline can do what they want.

However, we fly business (with an occasional upgrade to first) with our baby on long haul flights and if our preferred carrier banned babies in the business section of the cabin we would change carriers. On each of our last three flights there have been unruly, drunk and loud passengers in the premium cabins who have caused much more disturbance than our child. To create a more peaceful environment in premium cabins airlines will need to ban more than kids.

thanka2 likes this.

ssheng is offline Registered User

Surprised people are not more upset about this, but then I realized most people probably go through life never flying 1st class anyway (I certainly haven't, and have only flown business a couple of times). That being said, I honestly don't care when there is a baby or toddler around me because I just watch movies or listen to music the whole time. I can't imagine a kid being so noisy they can get through those mega-earphones the airlines provide.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

i must admit i thought babies weren't allowed in First Class on any airline! Not really an issue for the vast majority of people who are never likely to fly 1st class, including myself....

I have travelled in Business Class with babies as I have suffered from DVT twice and when the babies were little and I was travelling alone with them and it was very difficult to move about regularly as they sleep on you etc we forked out or used points because of the health issue and the comfort. They never caused any problems and while i got a few looks when I got on very busy flights they never disturbed anyone, as Elle said unlike many passengers......

And we were paying a premium for that reason (same as other Business class passengers) so I guess we were 'entitled' to be there!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast