Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Banned from breastfeeding at hotel

Frenchy is offline Registered User

I don't bf anymore, but have been many times, in many places, and have never been told to leave, but if I had, I can tell you I would raise my voice loud enough to make the situation very embarrassing and would ask for the manager, but I would not leave !

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

I agree that it's worth finding out if this is an inexperienced member of staff or a hotel policy before going any further, you can email the hotel with a link to this thread to find out. If they don't know then they can't correct it. However, if it's a hotel policy then it's a whole 'nother issue...

Koan is offline Registered User

Make a formal complaint to the hotel management. Personally I'd leave the word "discrete" out of it as it's culturally dependent, and focus on the rude staff member and how ridiculous the whole situation was.

Last edited by Koan; 07-11-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typo

miran is offline Registered User

Completely agree with Name-and Shame suggestion here. I have exclusively bf for 11 months. And have bf everywhere in HK - restaurants, coffee houses, taxi, beach, malls. Even at "non-expat" places like coffee shop at Tung Chung mall. Have never been stopped or pointed at or anything.

The situation is totally appalling. I dont bf anymore but would definitely join any nurse-in gathering being planned.

lisa88 is offline Registered User

On a completely opposite and happy note, I had a terrific surprise with the JW Marriot hotel almost 2 years ago. I was at the ballroom attending a day conference, wanted to pump milk, and did not want to pump in the toilet cubicle. Went up to the reception desk, asked if they had a nursing room. The woman on duty said I could use one of the hotel guest rooms! She showed me up to one of the rooms that had just been cleaned (it was late morning). I was done in 15 mins and thanked her profusely. I never did get round to sending a thank you note but that experience still stands out in my mind. I don't know if that was a one-off experience or the hotel policy.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

UPDATE:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am touched by your support. Just to give you an update, I have filed a letter of complaint this morning to Park Lane hotel and will eagerly await for their reply. I told them about my unfortunate experience and cited the Peninsula incident, telling them "Surely, Park Lane hotel would not want to attract the same kind of negative publicity".

I will update you on their reply and if it is unsatisfactory, I say we take it a step further as some of you have suggested: do the name and shame on SCMP and perhaps do a peaceful nurse in.

Thanks again!!!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I got a reply from Park Lane's Director of F&B this afternoon and here is an excerpt:

"I was most disappointed to learn of your experience and please accept my most sincere apologies for what happened. I can assure that there is no policy AGAINST breadfeeding at The Park Lane, and not only the staff who approached you had been trained and even the whole Food & Beverage team had been briefed immediately to avoid of such incident happened in future...I can assure you that proper action been taken and I hope we may be of service to you in the coming future

I am satisfied with their response and I'm happy to move on but will still remain a vigilant "lactivist" and will continue to breastfeed as long as my baby needs it.

Thank you everyone for your support.

banane76 is offline Registered User

That's soooo great! I'm so glad you got such a quick response. It makes me wonder why that employee thought she could approach you and tell you that. Oh well. As long as you're satisfied with their answer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast