Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

foreign education vs HK education

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by evgreen View Post
    I beg to differ. Other parents being pushy does not make me feel like I have to do the same to compete. Oops...thought i quoted gataloca on this one.
    I agree.... I actually don't want to do the same, but I heard that babies have to build a curriculum in order to get to nursery school???? Just hearing that make me say "WTF????!!!"

HappyV is offline Registered User

"They started screaming, yelling and threatening you when things dont go their way
    - They push you and step on shoes all the time even when it is not crowded on the street and public transportation. Not to mention they never apologize, they dont even look at you like nothing has happened
    - They spit in the public wherever and whenever they like without respecting the basic hygiene of the public place and whether there are people around them
    - They dont follow rules and regulation and always try to find the loop hole to get advantage for themselves
    - They dont like to queue up and if you remind them to do so, they will scream at you like it is your fault
    - At the school, instead of just drop the kids (by their own private car) and leave, they stop the car in the middle of everyone for a long time and block the way of everyone behind them during peak time pick up and drop off
    - At the school, when their kids damage the school or classmate's property, the kid never apologize and the next day, their parents drop several thousands dollars to the school and said it is not a big deal to break things. Sounded unapologetic and very arrogant" (from the original poster)

Sounds like you've just described the majority of local HK people - I can;t even count the number of times I've seen people spitting, pushing, shoving, jumping a line or trying to gain unfair advantage. And I have lived in mainland China as well as HK. Yes, there are differences, but I could quite easily use the term "uncivilised HKers" and it would mean about the same. As with any country, there is a proportion who behave in ways that are not socially acceptable in other countries.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Like many of you, I've heard about these portfolios, but none of my friends, with kids going to local and international schools have never been asked for a portfolio, which would give the kid priority...
    The problem is that if only one person talk about it, maybe 20 mums will feel like they have to do the same, and then it becomes the norm !

carang is offline Registered User

i run two playgroups and i can say that about 10% of parents ask for a certificate of attendance to add to their collection....99.99% of my students are local.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Like many of you, I've heard about these portfolios, but none of my friends, with kids going to local and international schools have never been asked for a portfolio, which would give the kid priority...
    The problem is that if only one person talk about it, maybe 20 mums will feel like they have to do the same, and then it becomes the norm !
    Then you have not met any parents with kids in top local schools.
    Find some parents with kids in StPauls Convent, Belios and similar schools and they will show you portfolios.

HappyV is offline Registered User

In the first place, the school will take more notice of academic standing than a portfolio. The portfolios then help to make the hardest decisions.

zhumgg is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    What level of education are you talking about? kindy, grade school, high school or college? And where are you comparing with?
    My experience of local schools in HK is that they are highly competitive and put a lot of pressure on the kids (and sometimes for parents).This starts from as young as kindergarten. Some kids do well under this system and some not. If you do well under this system, you do gain a lot of knowledge and exposure. But this is not unique to HK now. I've heard similar stories in other cities, like NY. So it depends on where you are comparing to.
    Good morning from the US,
    My kid is going to be 5 soon so he will be in K3 in local school while P1 in international school. It is very difficult to know whether they are suitable for which system (esp when they are so young) unless we let them try in both. I myself grow up in HK and study in local school my whole life. I love HK (that why I care whether our city is filled with civilized citizen), my lanugage and the Chinese culture. I got "A" in Chinese history :p. Whether local school will give good exposure really depends on whether it is a top tier local school. The top tier ones has a lot of joint school function, overseas exchange and extra-curricular activities. As for knowledge, it's not only depends on school/teacher, but also the attitude of the students themseleves toward learning. We are now in Austin, texas, south of the US, FYI

I dont dislike mainlander, I just dont like uncivilized behaviour but I agree, this can be anyone and anywhere. From my experience in HK and 3 years as expatriate in Shanghai, I just withness mainlanders have more of this behaviour. Anyways, if we decide to come back to HK, international school will be the option rather than local school as I myself expereince how high pressure it will be studying in local system. I dont want my kid to study like this.

zhumgg is offline Registered User

I am seriously considering whether to bring my kid back to HK because I really want them to study Chinese language, Chinese history and understand Chinese culture. This is important to me and benefitial to them in the long run. But this is difficult to acheive in the US

HappyV, thank you for your private message and sharing :)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast