Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone tried Probiotics for infant reflux?

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Anyone tried Probiotics for infant reflux?

My 10 week old has silent reflux and we brought him in to see Caroline Rhodes (an Osteopath), and she recommended that we give him probiotics.

There seems to be some good review on the web on probiotics for reflux. Anyone tried this?

She also told us how Zantac alters the acidity of the stomach which has negative effect on the child ... Which scares me a little to be honest ....

anotherone is offline Registered User

I gave our boy probiotics very early on for a different reason (bad case of diarrhea) and it calmed his system down by quite a bit, so I guess it should work the same way for reflux?

charade is offline Registered User

Obiwan, it's good to try and avoid medication for babies so might not be a bad idea to try probiotics. My baby had reflux (sounds very similar to yours) and we gave him probiotics for another issue (tummy upset). I didn't find it helped his reflux, though his poo smelled nicer :) However, babies are different and it might be worth a shot before starting medication. That said, I did eventually medicate my son and I had the same concerns as you (in fact, I used Lansoprazole which is a stronger one, don't know why the doc didn't prescribe Zantac first). It is true that medication will have some effect but I talked to many mums whose kids were on medication for far longer and in far stronger doses than my son and their kids are all fine. So if nothing else works and you feel like your son is suffering, don't worry too much about medication. They are after all tested, mild doses and doctors wouldn't prescribe them if they are that harmful. I think it's like antibiotics for kids - preferably not but sometimes the kid needs them.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Today I feel very sad. His rashes, which has gone away after 2 days of hydrocortisone came back again. Feeling a little helpless as we see him suffer. Not sure if it's something I ate, think I will change my diet to just plain congee with pork/chicken/fish .... Sigh

charade is offline Registered User

Oh no :( I don't know much about skin allergies but reflux get better in time so take heart from that. If you're thinking about going for diet modification discuss with your doc if it's appropriate for you and your son. I tried it (although a couple of doctors told me to forget it) but really ended up more miserable and confused and my son was not better in a dramatic way.

elle is offline Registered User

Definitely speak with your child's pediatrician before introducing anything other than breast milk or infant formula suitable for an infant into a young baby's diet. I know some people who swear by probiotics, but the science behind it seems pretty thin. Also know some people who have had real issues with them. Anything that alters an infant's digestive system has the potential to cause a real problem so I would keep my doc in the loop just in case.

I'm all for going to osteopathic doctors, but in the US I am only familiar with osteopaths who work together with traditional medical doctors, which doesn't seem to be the case in HK and elsewhere.

inkmink is offline Registered User

Try and omit seafood as well if you think your diet affects his rash. My little bub reacts to seafood, egg plant, egg White and carrots.

Sorry can't be of much help on reflux front but probiotics helps a bit on my little ones' rash.

carey is offline Registered User

Hi Obiwan,
    Very sorry that you are going through this. Hang in there. Things will improve as baby grow older. For now, enlist as much help as you can so you can get some rest.

Instead of giving him probiotic directly, I was going to try to take myself to help with my son's eczema (through drinking my breastmilk). But afer searching the Brand (udo) I was going to buy, I realize that it contains milk and nuts, which could worsen eczema. Although it might not be these things that my son is allergy to, if I am taking a supplement I want to make sure it does not contain these possible triggers.

I am still searching for a probiotic that is free of these things.

I PM you about eczema few days ago. I was also feeling a bit helpless with my son's eczema. But I came across this forum on baby center that gave me a routine that I could work with. It has helped me to put my son's rash under control. I am very greatful that I found this.

Check it out when you have time. Perhaps you could also find some info in another forum on Baby Center that deals with reflux.
    http://community.babycenter.com/grou..._skin_problems .

Take care and good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast