Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Baby carrier

TungBB is offline Registered User

Baby carrier

I am thinking of getting a carrier that is easy to wear, able to put and remove my baby in and out easily.

My 7 momths old baby is already 8.6kg, so wants a carrier that is sturdy and lightweight.

Any suggestion as to what brand, type, and where to buy?

Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

thanka2 is offline Registered User

This is the one we have, an Ergo Performance. My daughter is nearly 8 months old as well and we've been using it with her since she was a newborn. We absolutely love it. Super durable (we have friends who have used theirs with their child until he was 3-years-old and still in perfect condition) and really lightweight--more lightweight and breathable than the original Ergo design.

You can buy this brand at some of the baby stores in HK like Mothercare but I ought mine online from Amazon.com and had it brought over when my family visited.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

I was going to say the same as Thanka, right down to the model :-)

A few shops stock Ergo but not so many this specific model so it's worth calling first to check.

mrs
    mrs is offline Registered User

I also use the ergobaby performance. it's lighter and cooler than the original ergobaby and even my husband can use it easily with minimal adjustments even though he is twice my size. great for hk weather. I like how the weight is distributed on your hips unlike the baby bjorn which pulled on my shoulders and gave me bad back aches. There is a store in central called mother organic which sells this style so you can check their website. I got mine off amazon.com and had family members bring it back from the US for me. You can use it for a long time. My nephew is almost 3 and he is still using it (piggy back style).

*jellybean* is offline Registered User

Sorry to butt in, but is this OK to use with a newborn from day 1? I've read that newborns need to lie flat rather than upright so I don't understand why there is a newborn insert if that is the case.

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User

there is a newborn insert for ergos.

also, i just heard that newborns shouldn't lay flat/on their side even in the slings. guess some babies have suffocated that way and the latest news is they recommend wearing the baby upright all the time. haven't done any research on it myself, but that's what was discussed in a la leche meeting i attended.

Gracey is offline Registered User

Our doctor recommended that we not use any sort of sling / carrier for the first 8 weeks or so.

A friend also told us to wait until the baby was 8 lbs (3.5 kg).

That said, my baby was very small when she was born, so maybe she was an exception.

We just used the lie-down setting on her stroller, and carried her around in our arms otherwise.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

We used the insert with my daughter until she was nearly 4 months old. The purpose of the insert is to support the hips in a "frog" position for proper hip development. If your baby's legs are dangling out of the carrier (like Baby Bjorn) it can affect the lower back (sacrum) and hip development. I posted a PDF file awhile back about this--I think I can repost it sometime. We only stopped using the insert because my daughter is really tall and she wouldn't fit inside the carrier anymore with the use of the insert.

There are mixed reviews/messages about what is okay/not okay as far as carrying babies after birth. I've even read articles where doctors strongly advise against anything except carrying the baby in arms at all times (no strollers, no slings, nothing...) with evidence for these claims.

For me, it's a matter of practicality. I don't think it's safe for me to be carrying the baby in-arms because in HK people don't watch out for you and bump into you and you could easily drop the baby. Strollers are bulky and cumbersome (where we live, at least) and if you leave your child in them (or car seat carriers) for longer periods of time they can develop a flat skull (this accidentily happened to my son a bit--and it was only caused by one long road trip of a few days where he spent a lot of time in the carrier--when he was about 4 weeks-old).

Slings and carriers that have the baby lying flat never worked for me so I think the Ergo is a good compromise. In cultures around the world babies are often worn nearly 24 hours/day without major adverse effects (not always but most of the time). I think it greatly depends on how well the hips and sacrum are supported.

Some children even need to sleep almost in an upright position due to colic or acid reflux (my daughter had neither but slept a lot better on an incline) so...I think you kind of weigh the "risks" but I've never heard of or read of major damage to a baby being carried in an upright position after birth.

But...also should add that my daughter was 8 pounds, 6 ounces and my son was 8 pounds, 1 ounce when they were born and both had great head and neck control--both could hold their heads up at birth so they had a lot of strength in their bodies and weren't particularly "fagile" so....

Last edited by thanka2; 11-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast