Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Moving to US, looking for some... help, reassurance?!

rebekah is offline Registered User

I have a friend in Nashville and he loves it. Would you like me to ask about certain neighborhoods, etc? He's married with 3 kids so maybe his wife could give some suggestions of things to do with the kids locally (schools etc.) if you tell me their ages? Nashville is beautiful. The whole area is really nice and friendly. The only thing I disagree with on this thread is comparing atlanta and nashville. I really don't enjoy Atlanta. lots of southern money/old plantation families/snobs. Nashville is much more family centered and friendly. PM me on here if you want some info. My friend is quite religious (he works in the christian music industry) so I'm not sure you'd want an email connection, but they are very nice people and much more laid back than the image you probably have in your head when I say that.

Hope you enjoy it. It will be an adjustment but we found HK an easy transition from the US because, while we may not find the brands we want, we can certainly find a close substitute, so I hope the same is true in reverse for you!

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rebekah View Post
    The only thing I disagree with on this thread is comparing atlanta and nashville. I really don't enjoy Atlanta. lots of southern money/old plantation families/snobs. Nashville is much more family centered and friendly.
    For one, I was not comparing Nashville to Atlanta. I was referring to them not being far by distance not similarities.

And two, have you ever actually been to Atlanta? It is a HUGE, modern, cultural city with a rather large population of "transplants" who come complete with their young families and have moved there to work in the thriving economy. It is incredibly "family" friendly with places like the Zoo, Stone Mountain park, Six flags, Whitewater, Imagine that Children's Museum, Fernbank, the Georgia Aquarium, The world of Coke, various parks and year round festivals from the arts to religious... to name a few.

The chances of running into "old money" in Atlanta is slim to none and difficult at best. If you do run into them however, I think that you'll find most of them seething with southern charm rather than pretension. The "snobs" that you run into (and you will run into them anywhere even here in Hong Kong) are the Nuevo rich, not old money. Having been raised in Atlanta from infancy till my mid-twenties, never once did I see a "plantation" or anyone who claimed to have one. Your statement is ridiculous.

carang is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    For one, I was not comparing Nashville to Atlanta. I was referring to them not being far by distance not similarities.

And two, have you ever actually been to Atlanta? It is a HUGE, modern, cultural city with a rather large population of "transplants" who come complete with their young families and have moved there to work in the thriving economy. It is incredibly "family" friendly with places like the Zoo, Stone Mountain park, Six flags, Whitewater, Imagine that Children's Museum, Fernbank, the Georgia Aquarium, The world of Coke, various parks and year round festivals from the arts to religious... to name a few.

The chances of running into "old money" in Atlanta is slim to none and difficult at best. If you do run into them however, I think that you'll find most of them seething with southern charm rather than pretension. The "snobs" that you run into (and you will run into them anywhere even here in Hong Kong) are the Nuevo rich, not old money. Having been raised in Atlanta from infancy till my mid-twenties, never once did I see a "plantation" or anyone who claimed to have one. Your statement is ridiculous.
    hmmm.... while i've never wanted to live in the states, myself, (i'm canadian, so i guess that's expected LOL!).... i think you've got me wanting to move to atlanta, now!

ps> i DO love travelling in the states, though!

rebekah is offline Registered User

Yes, my parents now live outside atlanta. I've been many, many times. I was just saying that was my impression as someone not from there. I find Atlanta much less friendly than Nashville. I do enjoy the aquarium there, which is absolutely stunning.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    ...i think you've got me wanting to move to atlanta, now!...
    Cara, before you let your imagination go wild, think about the last time you felt unsafe in your neighborhood and then go here : http://www.spotcrime.com/ga/atlanta
    Signup for a free account and then play around.

Personally, after living in Hong Kong close to 2 decades, I cant picture going back to NorthAmerica....

we are actually seriously talking about going to vancouver (probably whiterock or langley.... maybe steveston) by 2013....we'll see. i've been talking about going back for the past 15 years or so, just never manage to get around to it! LOL!

ps> one of the reasons i have never wanted to live in the states is the lack of gun control laws. i grew up on a farm and my dad is an avid hunter, but i really don't see the need for the weaponry that is allowed to be owned by anyone who wants down south.... but that's just me.

sorry to hijack your thread...

other than what i wrote above, i DO love travelling to the states. people ARE friendly, shopping is great, prices are generally reasonable etc (just as what the folks above have said)

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    Cara, before you let your imagination go wild, think about the last time you felt unsafe in your neighborhood and then go here : http://www.spotcrime.com/ga/atlanta
    Signup for a free account and then play around.

Personally, after living in Hong Kong close to 2 decades, I cant picture going back to NorthAmerica....
    Howard- I find that surprising coming from you as you are usually so anti spreading fear. Yes crimes happen in the states, but they are more often isolated to particular areas of a/the city. Neighborhoods that are easily avoided. If one practices common sense when out in public places you can signifigantly reduce your chances of being targeted. Again I lived in Atlanta for most of my life and never once was a target of crime.
    thanka2 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast