Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Bigger lady looking for clothes

burrcl is offline Registered User

Would something like Marks and Spencer on-line be any good for you? The prices are the 'original' prices rather than the vastly overinflated prices they charge here, the choice is much wider, and I think M&S go up to a UK 24 (US 20?). Not sure of the styles though, but more than in store. They only charge £15 for delivery to HK, so even if you get a couple of pieces the savings generally work out. If you do find something in store you like, you can try for fit, and then buy on-line?

ASOS.com also deliver for free to HK and go up to a UK 18 which I think is a US 14. But I know getting stuff on-line is risky is case it doesn't fit as you say (they do allow returns though, but a pain if you have to do so).

Just thought of this one too - Long Tall Sally - http://www.longtallsally.com/delivery - that does larger shoe sizes, and I guess long torso tops etc. Again £15 delivery charge.

Good luck!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post

do you specifically where the shops with the larger clothes are? i'd love to check them out!
    Cara, away from the main street in SSP, there are many out of fashion wear shops and really, they look like old lady's shops but I've gotten some decent wearable blouses/t-shirts. It's something you do when you have time.
    Thanka, they are much like those shops in Yuen Long, bargain bin sort near the main market and along the parallel streets to Castle Peak Road. The one in Cheung Sha Wan ... I don't know it's English name! But it's an entire building. In fact, I was on my Yuen Long prowl and I saw Laura Ashley, M&S, Kenneth Cole for the bargain prices of between $29-$129 for their winter wear. All were in large sizes UK 16++.

thanka: price for the tailored clothes depends on the fabric and on the style you choose. over the summer i got 7 capri pants and 7 tops made and it came to about $2300HKD....it is a little more, but you KNOW they will fit. if there are any problems, you can take them back and they'll fix the problem free of charge.
    Cara, could you send me the details of the shop please? I've tried Shenzhen and it's always come out like some teenager's home economics project. :-(
    Thanks!
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

carang is offline Registered User

i use a woman named sophia.

50A, Duocai Cloth City, 5/f, Luohu Commerce City, Railway Station, SZ
    86 755 82328230
    [email protected]

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    i even had a woman shout from the back of the shop "no fat sizes!" when i was 130lbs!
    LOL! I feel your pain because that sort of thing has literally also happened to me! I've also had sales people in Hong Kong laugh me out of the store when I went looking for shoes that fit me.

If I get a windfall of cash sometime soon, I'll be asking you for more detailed directions to the place in Shenzhen but I don't have a visa right now so we'll see...would love to go over with you on a clothes run sometime. :)
    carang likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuasimother View Post
    Thanka, they are much like those shops in Yuen Long, bargain bin sort near the main market and along the parallel streets to Castle Peak Road. The one in Cheung Sha Wan ... I don't know it's English name! But it's an entire building. In fact, I was on my Yuen Long prowl and I saw Laura Ashley, M&S, Kenneth Cole for the bargain prices of between $29-$129 for their winter wear. All were in large sizes UK 16++.
    Wow! That's great. Mind letting me tag along the next time you go?
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by burrcl View Post
    Would something like Marks and Spencer on-line be any good for you? The prices are the 'original' prices rather than the vastly overinflated prices they charge here, the choice is much wider, and I think M&S go up to a UK 24 (US 20?). Not sure of the styles though, but more than in store. They only charge £15 for delivery to HK, so even if you get a couple of pieces the savings generally work out. If you do find something in store you like, you can try for fit, and then buy on-line?

ASOS.com also deliver for free to HK and go up to a UK 18 which I think is a US 14. But I know getting stuff on-line is risky is case it doesn't fit as you say (they do allow returns though, but a pain if you have to do so).

Just thought of this one too - Long Tall Sally - http://www.longtallsally.com/delivery - that does larger shoe sizes, and I guess long torso tops etc. Again £15 delivery charge.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the links. I will check into them.

Mother of Two

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Thanka2 ... Sure! Whenever you have an evening free or an arvo free? This Christmas break? Just send me a message on FB or SMS.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Is it possible to send one of your family or friends shopping for you in the US? I've done that before - my mum usually buys me stuff that she knows I'll like (usually very plain, t-shirts etc) when I haven't been able to find them here. Even with shipping, it isn't bad...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast