Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sanatorium or Adventist? AND Delivery budget

lina27 is offline Registered User

Sanatorium or Adventist? AND Delivery budget

After reading many posts regarding private hospitals, I am considering either Sanatorim or Adventist. Which of these two should I choose: what are the pluses and minuses in both? Details: I live close to both (Happy Valley). My new doctor is Patrick Chan. I'd like to opt for a delivery with an epidural.

Also, could someone give an indication of costs at these two clinics, including the OB/GYN delivery fees. I've checked both clinics' websites but it's all an estimate, and since I have no insurance I am afraid the 'hidden' and unforseeable costs will sky-rocket as soon as I am at the hospital... Thanks in advance for the information.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

I delivered at both hospitals and would definitely choose sanatorium over adventist because the facilities are new, the staff are more with it...Adventist is undergoing renovation so, at least when I was there 1/2 year ago, my window was all covered up so no sunlight. The OBGYN fees should be constant it's just the room fees that would be different. If I recall correctly the overall price was about 10-15% higher at the sanatorium but worth it since your experience is much better, particularly if you can't get a single room in Adventist. When I checked in they only had a double room, but the bed available was next to the door and only a curtain was dividing you and the other lady. There was only room for 2 people ...1stand and 1sit and it was tight when they pushed the baby into the room to feed. If however, you are enough to get the bed near the window in the double room (on the side) then you have a nice sofa area that can sit 5-6people and are next to the toilet. In the sanatorium you will always have your own room though for a cheaper rate you could share a bathroom instead of having your own private room. At the end of the day you can request, but there is no guarantee. When I delivered #2 they only have 4 people sharing a bathroom or a deluxe room...I went with deluxe as I had insurance and wow...that was such a treat...the only private rooms I peeked into looked equally nice, just the size of the "living" room was smaller.

lesliefu: "If I recall correctly the overall price was about 10-15% higher at the sanatorium but worth it since your experience is much better, particularly if you can't get a single room in Adventist."

Thanks, lesliefu, this is helpful. Do you mind providing a rough total figure for the delivery w/out complications at the sanatorium? I'll discount for the deluxe room you had :)...

Last edited by lina27; 01-15-2012 at 05:58 PM.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Hi lina27, 13k at sanatorium and 11k at the Adventist...Adventist I had a regular single room. Costs are quite similar actually...

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

That is very cheap, I thought our bill at Sanatorium was 23k for shared ward and normal vaginal delivery without epidural. Will check tomorrow
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    That is very cheap, I thought our bill at Sanatorium was 23k for shared ward and normal vaginal delivery without epidural. Will check tomorrow
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Thanks for the reply. 23k is very reasonable. This doesn't include doctor's fee, does it? With epidural it will be in the vicinity of +5k, I suppose.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lina27 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. 23k is very reasonable. This doesn't include doctor's fee, does it? With epidural it will be in the vicinity of +5k, I suppose.
    Ahh, you are right - just checked the receipt this morning and although I paid 23k at the end, that didn't include the initial deposit of 20k. So, total was 43k. Split was $19,778 to the hospital, $20k to the Doctor and the remainder miscellaneous fees like hearing test, and pediatrician checkup for the baby.

I think an epidural would be more than 5k, but not really sure. You should be able to call them up and ask for their fee schedule.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    Ahh, you are right - just checked the receipt this morning and although I paid 23k at the end, that didn't include the initial deposit of 20k. So, total was 43k. Split was $19,778 to the hospital, $20k to the Doctor and the remainder miscellaneous fees like hearing test, and pediatrician checkup for the baby.
    As a quick aside for the OP, you should also make sure that you are prepared to cover emergency costs if things don't go as planned. I went into labor 6 weeks early and had to have an emergency c-section (totally unanticipated) on a Sunday night (fees are higher after hours and on weekends) and our bill ballooned to over HK$200k.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast