Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sanatorium or Adventist? AND Delivery budget

lina27 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    So, total was 43k. Split was $19,778 to the hospital, $20k to the Doctor and the remainder miscellaneous fees like hearing test, and pediatrician checkup for the baby.

I think an epidural would be more than 5k, but not really sure. You should be able to call them up and ask for their fee schedule.
    Thank you for the precise information. Still, the costs are manageable. I'll go for Sanatorium.

Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    I went into labor 6 weeks early and had to have an emergency c-section (totally unanticipated) on a Sunday night (fees are higher after hours and on weekends) and our bill ballooned to over HK$200k.
    Wow, 200k is steep. I am now trying to see if my partner can put me on his insurance as he works for a multinational company. Not sure if it works out... SInce my pregnancy was not expected I didn't check my (relatively good) insurance plan and, surprise, surprise, it didn't cover pregnancy at all. Even my visit to the doc when I was just diagnosed with pregnancy I had to cover out of my pocket. So my advice to anyone who's thinking fo becoming pregnant - check/get a good health insurance - mostly for emergencies like elle's, but not only. This is the lesson I've learnt.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    Hi lina27, 13k at sanatorium and 11k at the Adventist...Adventist I had a regular single room. Costs are quite similar actually...
    Oops...forgot a "0". It's actually 130k and 110k...not quiet that good of a deal, but not bad considering the quality of service...sorry for the mix up - terrible with numbers :)

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    As a quick aside for the OP, you should also make sure that you are prepared to cover emergency costs if things don't go as planned. I went into labor 6 weeks early and had to have an emergency c-section (totally unanticipated) on a Sunday night (fees are higher after hours and on weekends) and our bill ballooned to over HK$200k.
    I think this point is well worth repeating, especially for those without insurance coverage. If we didn't have insurance there is no way we would pay for a private hospital for two reasons:

1. The basic costs are too high for something available for free on the public system
    2. The costs can balloon completely out of control if there are any complications... and the last thing you want to be thinking about during the delivery is the cost.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lina27 View Post
    Thank you for the precise information. Still, the costs are manageable. I'll go for Sanatorium.
    Epidural was 10k, pediatrician 6k (depends on doctor- I had one for 10k but not worth it), hearing I did outside, the pediatrician recommended I not do it at the adventist. The miscellaneous costs didn't add up to more than a couple thousand for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    I think this point is well worth repeating, especially for those without insurance coverage. If we didn't have insurance there is no way we would pay for a private hospital...
    So did you pay 43k in total WITH insurance coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    Epidural was 10k, pediatrician 6k (depends on doctor- I had one for 10k but not worth it), hearing I did outside, the pediatrician recommended I not do it at the adventist. The miscellaneous costs didn't add up to more than a couple thousand for us.
    Crazee... Epidural 10k?! Sanatorium lists it at 5k... 130k in total is too high, and it's without complications...

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Lesliefu's numbers are correct. I paid about the same too for an uncomplicated 3-day delivery. The cost can be reduced by choosing a different class of room. Cost, for the same procedure, goes up exponentially depending on your room type. Epidural is 10k for private room, and 5k for non. Sanatorium has a price list you can refer to. Matilda charges are similar too. I had my first at M and second at S.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast