Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

What would be on your get-ready-for-a-baby shopping list?

charade is offline Registered User

Haha as you can see, the only thing all our babies agreed on is that they needed diapers and wipes. (even those some manage to do without by using cloth nappies and cotton wool/water).

I think rule of the thumb is to buy less, even essentials like clothes, buy a few. The good thing in HK is that once you know what you need - like which clothes actually will fit your baby - you can nip out (or send hubby out with a sample) and pick up more.

A lot depends how much space you have in your house also.

carang is offline Registered User

yep, even though we lived in db at the time of our first, we kept what we bought in advance to the bare minimum. then we bought as we needed. and even then there was heaps of stuff i never used... not even for #2!

ie) unless you know you're going to bottle feed, maybe only buy 1 bottle and then see if you need it, before you buy all the paraphenalia that goes along with bottle feeding.

zzsp23 is offline Registered User

oops I've been looking at pram/stroller, cots and highchairs already! note to self: must exercise restraint haha
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User

you won't use a highchair until the baby is around 6 months or so... they can't sit up in them.

pram/stroller? sure, have a look, but note that if you plan on using one for a newborn, it must lie flat and it should have a 5 point harness. (i did get one of these as i knew i wouldn't be able to carry the baby for long, and it's nice to not always have a baby attached to you.)

a place for baby to sleep is necessary. but many babies find a cot too big to start out in. we started our son in a bassinet/moses basket and used it for about 3 months. then moved him into a cot. our daughter, however, we used a "big bed insert" and had her sleep between us on our kingsize bed. then about 3 months, we moved her to a cot. some mums though, prefer to have babies in their cots immediately.

Last edited by carang; 05-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.

evgreen is offline Registered User

Here's what I found particularly necessary other than bottles and diapers, although some items may or may not suit your needs:

- Bassinet with extra sheets. I didn't move our LO to a cot/crib until 4.5 months.
    - A few comfortable nursing bras...key word is comfortable and perhaps with some extra room
    - A good double electric breast pump - I use the Medela Freestyle which you can purchase from Celki
    - Lots of breast pads (LOADS for the first weeks of breastfeeding) I used both washable and disposable ones
    - Miracle Blanket swaddles (these were my fave after trying several other kinds of swaddles)
    - Baby bath basin
    - A good night light with a dimmer (I went with the Philips LED Living Colors lamp, pricey but I absolutely love it)
    - A diaper bin with lid - but any bin with lid will do
    - Some pee pads for changing diapers on top of...that explosive poop is no joke.
    - Breast milk collection shells for collecting all that milk you leak in the first few weeks. Why let it go to waste, right?
    - Breast milk storage bags/bottles

Here's what I found particularly unnecessary:

- Bottle sterilizer (I got one at my baby shower and re-gifted. A simple cooking pot will do.)
    - Nursing pillow
    - Pacifiers
    - Baby towels with hood
    - Burp cloths, although I didn't have much of a spitter on my hands

evgreen is offline Registered User

Also must have thermometer and nasal aspirator...the nosefrida is my fave.

burrcl is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i never understood the need for "muslins"... i just used an old hand towel...
    Very true, but we were relatively new in HK and didn't have any "old" stuff to use as we hadn't shipped any stuff out with us. The good thing about muslins too is that they are pretty much dry as soon as they come out the washing machine so don't need to hang around for long to dry (if you don't have a dryer).

Of course, in a lot of places in this world, nappies, clothes and a place to sleep that isn't with parents or a floor are also a luxury...

Yolanda77 is offline Registered User

Would you like to buy any baby items ? All very good quality and only used for a short time. Because I have only one child we bought a lot of expensive things. Just send me a private message
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast