Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Need advice on reading to two sons

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Need advice on reading to two sons

Hi, my older son is 3 and my younger one is 6 months. As soon as my older son was around 9 months old I read bedtime story to him when tucking him in. It has become a habit and I would certainly want to do the same thing to my younger one. My question is: I want to tuck them in together at the same time so in this way I would read the same story to them; but shall I read the books suitable for my older one (the younger may not know what's going on but just let him listen and catch up?) or shall I read the books suitable for my younger one (so that the younger one can go from the basic, but I worry that the older one would be bored with the super-easy baby books?) I don't want to put them to bed at different time and read stories to them separately. Any idea/advice to share? Thank you.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

My older child is 4.5-years-old and the younger is 15-months-old. The question for us is how to keep the baby still while reading. For us, I don't think at this point tucking them in together is a reasonable goal but it might be for you.

In our case, I would read a mixture of both. I would select books my older son liked when he was my daughter's age--especially books he was quite fond of or even remembers and read them because it's always nice to go back and read old favorites. Then read some of the "big kid" books after that. But, keeping baby's interest level (and keeping her from ripping the book!) is the difficulty. Also, my son has started to have me read to him longer stories--we don't really read the little "kiddie books" anymore. Now he can sit and listen to a story for about 5-10 minutes and he wants a deeper plot and more dangerous situations. One of his favorites is a story about a boy who kills a monster and cuts off its head! I know, I know...gory and violent but he likes it. :) The baby simply doesn't have the attention span to sit for 5 minutes to listen to this type of story.

Good luck.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

lesliefu is offline Registered User

I have attempted with my three...4,2,1...we have three books which they choose themselves, and then I read the baby book first. Then hubby sends baby to sleep and I continue with the older two, after which they both sleep. Bby cannot sit still so he inky gets one book...when he is older he can last longer and read all three. Takes me 15mins to do 3 books.

carang likes this.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

I have a similar gap between my two and basically most days they choose a book each (exceptions if one too tired or if very late they choose one together now). The little one can just play if he is not interested in the big ones story, but as they get older I found my youngest listened just as attentively to the 'big' stories, even if they weren't about things you would expect him to be interested in. They are now 3 and 5.5 and there is no problem at all, although sometimes the older one says she doesn't want to listen to the 'baby' stories, yet she nearly always does when i start reading them.

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Thanks for your advice ladies. Yes, as mentioned by thanka2 and lesliefu, I seem to forget that small kids love chewing on their books and do not sit still for story until they are probably around 2, and their attention span is so short. Therefore I think what I will do is to start with a baby book for the smaller one (which takes about 5 ~ 10 minutes); and then switch to those for older one. My older one can digest story with rather complicated plots so I think it would definitely bore the younger one to cry if I read it to him as well. Well, I haven't read to both yet, as my younger one is only 6 months old, but it'd be nice to ask and get some advice.

charade is offline Registered User

Nothing to add but I really enjoyed reading this thread and these tips will help when I have to read to my two munchkins together which I look forward to doing in a year or so. Right now, I'm thrilled that my 18-month-old son gets excited to bring me a book to read to him from every night. I had been panicking a bit because he was showing no interest in reading, except for throwing books off the bookshelf (being a reader, this is one trait I would be crushed if my son didn't develop).

repulsebayhk is offline Registered User

I would read one easy- to understand book suitable for your younger one, while reading, ask the older one questions related to what has been read or ask him what he thinks might happen on the next page, this way, the younger child can learn creAtivity in story reading from his older brother, and see the interaction between you and the older child. A great way to bond. Who knows? The younger one might learn more from the things his older brother says about the page or characters from the book than from the story itself!!

carang is offline Registered User

repulsebayhk: while i agree with you for kids who are 3 yrs+, we are talking about a baby here.... what exactly do you think a 6 month old to learn from the 3 year old brother?

lesliefu likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast