Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree2Likes

Is it really this expensive....

carang is offline Registered User

i think we have a few new users on here and on geoexpat... it seems that almost every "new mum-to-be" who has posted on here recently is interested in cord blood storage.... i don't think it's a coincidence. i wouldn't be surprised if it is one person trying to drum up business.

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarian View Post
    I read the same thing - unless you have a family history of these kinds of conditions it's not worth considering. In addition because it's so new it hasn't yet been proven to be more effective than getting a transplant from another donor; some experts believe giving a sick child more of their own cells will just cause the condition to reappear in the future and finally many of the companies who are offering this are using very dodgy statistics to persuade anxious parents-to-be that this is a good investment. So I'm steering well clear - though if my hospital wants to take mine to use for a baby that needs it, I'm happy to donate.
    Aquarian, you summarised what I wanted to say too. Some of it is touched on in this article:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/pri...ry?id=10568271

I think parents should really be doing their research before investing in this service, beyond listening to sales reps of cord blood companies and even their own doctors as some of the latter might be receiving a commission from the service providers.

If people still feel they have the funds to spend on something that has a small chance of being useful, that's fine but if parents spend on these kind of services and then say how expensive raising a child in Hong Kong is, it's a bit silly.

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey123 View Post
    But it sounds the same as an insurance
    Yes, but what you buy insurance for is very subjective as is what is necessary to buy insurance for. Particularly given the proven benefits of this form of banking (very limited) can it be seen as one of those essentials, which if we cannot afford we have cause to moan?

jessy36 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey123 View Post
    But it sounds the same as an insurance
    While reading about updates, I recently came across this from the FDA website:
    http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac.../ucm236044.htm

Yolilau is offline Registered User

yeah, it can be expensive! the other day I came across south china morning post and saw that people are even willing to spend 100K on storing cord blood tissues

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234