Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Taxis and car seats

alfa is offline Registered User

You can also get wheels to attach to firward facing car seeats so you can pull them behind you when out and about- probably not for long walks but sturdy enough for the short ones

Last edited by alfa; 08-16-2012 at 05:06 AM.

qwert12 is offline Registered User

Responsible and informed decision in this case is to get a car seat for a new born. There is no other safe way to transport a baby even if the taxi/car is driving at the legal minimum. There are many car seats that can easily be used using the seat belts in taxis: Maxi Cosi, Cybex etc (you can get them from Bumbs to Babes in Central). The price is around 1500HKD. I really don't see a point to discuss here. Will you risk your child's life because a few taxi drivers complained about it?

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by qwert12 View Post
    Responsible and informed decision in this case is to get a car seat for a new born.
    That is certainly one conclusion that one can come up with. As can be seen in this thread, there are other choices and conclusions as well.
    I really don't see a point to discuss here.
    The fact that others have different opinions makes it a worth while discussion.
    Will you risk your child's life because a few taxi drivers complained about it?
    There are those in the world who do not mind taking some calculated risks. Whether it be related to seatbelts, choice of food&drink during pregnancy, choice of hospital type, choice of particular drugs before birth or vaccinations&drugs to give our kids once they are born. Those differences make for interesting and engaging discussions.

mummymoo is offline Registered User

What I have seen but do not practice myself as I don't use taxis when with my children is some parents using the infant seat belt 'borrowed' permanently from Cathay Pacific. Not sure how safe nor effective this is, but if it does work it would save a lot of hassles as the thing can just slip into your handbag.

I would agree about the baby bjorn, the crash test videos are harrowing, the clips ect just completely buckle with any sort of braking. Used to use the bjorn when I first arrived in HK before I sorted out my people mover, so these videos were a real eye opener for me.

Aquarian is offline Registered User

What do people do about minibuses? Or do you just avoid them altogether?

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

You can borrow a baby car seat from the YWCA for a nominal fee - something like $10 a day. That is what we did when bringing our baby home from hospital. Easy, safe and inexpensive.

qwert12 likes this.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarian View Post
    What do people do about minibuses? Or do you just avoid them altogether?
    Haven't seen any babies on minibuses...have seen them in double decker buses though...in the ergo but perhaps the stops are only a short distance away. I never used a baby car seat when traveling on taxi, have ones for my own car...just too much if a hassle for me since I have multiple kids and getting one out would require the other to wait Patiently
    100% of the time which is very challenging,,,,

qwert12 is offline Registered User

Of course, people do take risks, my point is I don't agree that the people are good at calculating/assessing the risks correctly. In this case, the stakes are too high: Even though the probability of an accident is very low, you face an almost certain death of your kid versus the inconvenience of carrying around car seats, a few nagging taxi drivers etc. No matter which probability you attribute to an accident, the expected loss should outweigh the cost of getting a car seat. The main reason why many countries do have mandatory seat belt laws is because people are not good at (or simply don't bother) calculating risks correctly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast