Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Leaving 6 AM back at 6 PM - Can I manage?

Papayabingbing is offline Registered User

Question Leaving 6 AM back at 6 PM - Can I manage?

Hi Mamas,

So I'm on the NET scheme and my school is offering me another contract (Aug. 2019-Aug 2021). I love my work so much and they are really supportive. I work with great teachers and see many mothers on and off maternity leave and always coming back. I feel like this is a great place for me to work and I really enjoy it. I have my own space, which is actually perfect for pumping breast milk and I have allowed teachers to come in and pump in the past. It's a great place, however, I am concerned about my time away..... I live on Lamma Island and the ferry I must take is 620....meaning, I am up at 5:15 AM and out the door by 6:05. I can normally get home at about 6 PM. The school is far up in the hills of Kwun Tong.

I have a helper who is great with kids and my husband is 100% stoked about having a child and is fully supportive. I have been trying to get pregnant for the last 5/6 months and had 1 chemical pregnancy. I want to sign another contract but I feel like my school is too far and the NET scheme is really competitive. It's quite difficult to find an ideal school nearby, especially on HK island. If I leave this contract, I risk being able to find a place to work nearby and I am the main breadwinner. We just signed another 2 years with our flat (which is honestly a perfect home for a family) and we really don't want to move. I have that great balance - good job / great home...just have to commute.

My main question:If I sign and am able to have a baby and have 1 more school year left on my contract, will 6 AM to 6 PM be too difficult? I feel like I am able to manage quite a lot but this feels like a whole new ballgame. It's a LIFE! Anyone else on a schedule like this?

I worry about not seeing the child...only seeing him/her in the middle of the night and for about 1 hour a day. I feel like hubs can take care of baby in the morning time and I have the evenings to spend time before bed time.

I think this schedule will only be for about 9 - 12 months but I am a little nervous about it. I will be talking to my school about adjusting the hours a little, but doubt they will budge that much as they like to play very fair.

Appreciate your feedback and experiences. x

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User

Hello!

Lamma is such a beautiful place to raise a family but so many friends also had a similar issue and chose to move to DB or even closer to work. I personally wouldn't be able to do 12 hours days. It will be too exhausting.

Wait till you're pregnant and see how you feel. No point making any decisions now. And if the commute starts wearing you down, I would try and speak to your landlord and try and break your lease.

Best of luck!