Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

so lost and hopeless

drcookie is offline Registered User

the answer for weight loss is low GI. Does your obstetrician have a nutritionist they can recommend? If not find one- it can be useful. If you have pcos and are being treated for insulin resistance you need low GI to stabilise you sugar level, and therefore insulin. the problem with insulin resistance is that it gets worse with increased weight- but at the same time makes any weight loss harder.

Good Luck

desert_rose is offline Registered User

I'm very sorry but im not very sure what the medicine im taking is exactly for. Im taking Metformin..

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

I think Metformin is a drug taken by people with type 2 diabetes. I know that when I was pregnant with my first in New Zealand they were doing trials with Metfomin on women who had PCOS and were trying to conceive. My understanding is that it can help PCOS women to conceive naturally.

To lose weight I just followed the Weight Watchers programme. I mainly needed to identify my bad eating habits and focus on eating a healthier variety of foods. I was eating way too much! Eating low GI is a good way to control PCOS as low GI foods produce a low insulin response so aren't so affected by your insulan resistance. In saying that I don't follow it! Mainly because I am a bit lazy when it comes to figuring out what I should and shouldn't be eating....

Don't let it worry you. Take one step at a time. Losing some weight before you get pregnant will help you anyway. Just make sure you do it in a healthy way. If you body is being stressed by a radical diet you will most likely have a hard time conceiving, PCOS or no PCOS.

Best of luck

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

One other thing that may be important - I went back on the pill (Diane 35, or Estelle) while I was losing weight. I think it was a significant help.

mommy sara is offline Registered User

I have had POC since I was 16 (now 26) and I have a wonderful 19 month-old son that I concieved on the first try. Maybe I'm just lucky. I went on birth control pills when diagnosed and that took care of the cysts. I stoped taking it about 5 months before "trying". The 3rd month I never ovulated and I took progesterone to "force" a period and get things moving again. I have not gone back on the pill since my son was born because I'm still nursing and have not had any problem. But maybe I'm just lucky...
    Good luck!

jenayds is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by fee View Post
    My whole take on PCOS is that I have trouble ovulating - and there are drugs that can make you ovulate. Simple really. Nothing to get too worried about.

Fee

Hi Desert Rose,

I also have PCOS and have one child and another one on the way. I agree with Fee - this condition means I have trouble ovulating and trying to get pregnant without the drugs was terrible for me. But once I was on Clomid, I got pregnant within 4 cycles for baby 1 and on the second cycle for baby 2. Don't worry too much - we are lucky to live in an age where this can be easily treated. Metformin is to help with insulin resistance and may help you as you try to lose weight. Clomid is used to make you ovulate when you do want to become pregnant. For me it worked really well and didn't cause any side effects, I just took a pill every day for 5 days. Easy as. It regulated my cycle and made me ovulate, so we actually had a chance at getting pregnant.

Once you are being properly treated for PCOS it shouldn't be a big deal for you. Of course, everyone is different and only your doctor can give you the best advice for you. But my message is, be hopeful as you will very likely be able to have the baby you wish for!

Cheers
    Jennifer

aleone is offline Registered User

Medical cover / Having a baby

I hope someone can help and give me some valuable advice.
    me and my hub are thinking of having a baby but he is a little concerned that we do not have medical insurance.

We have contacted most of the medicual insurance suppliers such as bupa, PPP, and they have advised that we need to wait one year (upon joining) before I am eligible for the financial support.

Does anyone know what the costs are like out here for public/private hospital treatment.

desert_rose is offline Registered User

hello

Hello Jennifer, Mommy_Sara, Fee,

Thank you so very much for your msgs, your support. From last time I wrote I have been on Met 1500mg for over a month. I believe it has worked for me as I got my AF last Friday; my mood has been just bless full. My hubby was happy not seeing my upset and frustrated. I lost something over 19lbs, I believe its due to s/e’s which were hell in first 2 weeks. After that I still have to watch very closely what I eat. I didn’t have anything sweet for 6 weeks. I love chocolate so much I tell you  
    Anyway I had appointment with my doctor on Saturday, she put me on Clomid 50mg and up my Met to 2500mg (ohh those terrible s/e’s), which I feel is too much. She said we will go back down later. So I started my first round. Today I took last pill. I Hope it will work but don’t know what to expect. I’m not sure of site effects. I don’t know if it’s connected but on Sunday I had very bad headache and was very moody. Next Monday I have scan I think to see my follicide. (im just not good with all those things so sometimes I don’t have a clue what doctor is doing with me)

Anyway I’m hopeful but not pressuring myself too much. Just waiting.

Aleone I’m sorry but can’t help you with Insurance. I think there are threats about it. We were lucky to have my husbands’ company insurance, no waiting time.
    Good luck in finding one.

Thank you again ladies,
    Love
    Michaela

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast