Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Dog and new born baby?worried first time mom

kcinhk is offline Registered User

Dog and new born baby?worried first time mom

Hello to all mommies. I'm now 22weeks pregnant and has a dog at home (she is 3 years old). Our baby will be due in December and I'm really worried about how the dog will respond to the new baby at home. Our dog is really sweet at home with me and my husband but are agressive to peopole outside the family. We love our dog dearly but we are really worried about the safety of our baby when she arrives.
    Does anyone out there has any advise or experience on this issue? Please help....
    Thank you!

worried first time mom.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

We liked our dog very much (we had her for 3 years and she is now 5 years old) but found her a new home as we knew we couldn't cope with the arrival of twins and a dog that needs to be walked twice a day... And yes we were worried about biting and snapping too... We plan to get dogs again when the girls are older. Sorry I cant offer something more positive

Thank you Somebodyfamous, for sharing your experience. Was it a hard decision for you to give away the dog? How did you find a home for your dog? It pains me the thought of sending our dog away, but on the other hand i know i will not be able to face the consequence of my baby being harm by our dog.

Well I thought positive thoughts and sent out an email to everyone I knew in Hong Kong, a friend of mine then forwarded the email to her friend and a family were looking for a dog just like ours!! We even paid them a few thousand dollars towards her keep. (We felt terribly guilty at the time...)

I felt EXACTLY the same way as you did whilst pregnant.

Someone said to me before I had children "When you finally have children a dog becomes a dog" and now I know what they mean.....

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Hi,

We have two dogs and a ten month old and so far have encountered no problems! We had no intention of finding new homes for our dogs when our baby was born as we saw no reason why we couldn't all live together. Of course baby is our number one priority but we didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

For the first 6 months of our baby's life our dogs ignored him....and even now that he's mobile they still pretty much ignore him.

He however loves them- when they come near him, when he gets a chance to stroke their fur he breaks into a huge smile and starts laughing!

The only time the dogs feel threatened is when he tries to take their biscuits and chews, so am teaching him not too and keeping him away when they have a snack.

It's very important for us that our son and any future children grow up with pets.

There are things you can do to prepare your dogs for your new baby....I know it's quite common in HK for people to rehouse their dogs/pets when a baby is due....but it's not something that is common where I'm from and also where my husband is from....

We are starting our dog with a dog trainer as she is considered agressive, hopefully we are able to help her adjust her temper before the baby arrives in December. And hopefully everything would be fine...i pray...
    I would hate to send our dog away, but she is rather agressive and our worries are not unfounded.
    If any mommy out there has any tips on getting a pet dog at home to get used of having a new born baby at home, or if there is anything that we should watch out for, we would very much appreciate your help. thanks.
    By the way, does anyone have a good contact for dog trainer with agressive dog?
    Or is there anyone who shares a similar experience/ dilemma?

Last edited by kcinhk; 08-16-2007 at 11:42 PM.

meimei is offline Registered User

HI, I just bought the current issue of Parents magazine (from U.S.) and it has an article about having dogs and newborn together. If you don't want to get the magazine I can scan the article and email it to you. Just let me know your email address. I have a dog before I had my daughter. I bought a big doll home and kept telling my dog to leave the doll alone as if it was the baby. He stopped hassling the doll after a few days. Is your dog obedient? My dog is quite good that way. Lately he did make some grumpy sound in front of my daughter since she's getting more mobile nowadays. So I scold him and tell him not to do that anymore. He has never done it ever since.
    Good luck and hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kcinhk View Post
    We are starting our dog with a dog trainer as she is considered agressive, hopefully we are able to help her adjust her temper before the baby arrives in December. And hopefully everything would be fine...i pray...
    I would hate to send our dog away, but she is rather agressive and our worries are not unfounded.
    If any mommy out there has any tips on getting a pet dog at home to get used of having a new born baby at home, or if there is anything that we should watch out for, we would very much appreciate your help. thanks.
    By the way, does anyone have a good contact for dog trainer with agressive dog?
    Or is there anyone who shares a similar experience/ dilemma?

kcinhk, sounds good you are getting your dog trained. I hope it can train the aggression out. I think its very possible.

All factors have to be weighed in such big decisions at home.

Points to consider:
    * if your dog has aggressive tendencies, training is a very good option.
    * if your dog needs a lot of exercise, who will walk the dog?
    * will you be able to give your dog(s) quality time after baby arrives (if maid is the one walking and feeding it, its really her dog!)
    * How big is your dog? Can she/he be kept away from baby?
    * Is your dog noisy? Will it bark and keep baby awake? Can you keep it away from baby so baby can sleep?

Good points:
    * dogs have been known to warn parents if baby stops breathing
    * dogs are great pets!

We know of friends who had a dog who was fine with their own 4 children but when other children came to play, the dog bit one of the other children. Small children dont understand about dog behaviour e.g. if the owners children pulls the dogs tail, the dog will accept but not from a strange child.

So many things to think about, I dont envy your predicament kcinhk! It sounds like the aggressiveness is what worries you, so I hope the trainer can help.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast