Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Moving from UK to HK

misskb is offline Registered User

Repulse Bay is great. Lots of buildings with lots of families, a little group of shops with two pre-schools (it won't be long!) and a coffee shop. 20 minutes into town outside of peak hour. If you are party animals, then stay in town (mid levels), otherwise Southside has everything you need / want.

Think about joining a club for facilities / lessons for your toddler, if its covered in your husband's package.

Kids clothes is all I would suggest, as other than trawling through the markets, I actually find the range here quite limited. Ironic given most of the stuff you will buy at home has come from China, but they seem to miss HK on the way through!

The supermarkets are really expat friendly, particularly Southside, (Stanley, Repulse Bay etc) and there are good baby shops (Mothercare, Bumps to Babes) for other supplies.

Don't stress..... Its much easier than you expect.

Lucylou is offline Registered User

Hi Kathryn
    I have just moved to HK from the UK with a 5 month old. I was using Aptamil and still am - I found it on Park and Shop online. This is the only place I have found it mind you! I did bring a couple of cartons of Aptamil formula over with us just in case! We live in Cyberport, Bel-Air and there are a lot of babies/toddlers here.
    With regards to pishchairs - we bought our Mamas and Papas pushchair with us and I found it was far too heavy to get in and out of taxis and around Central so we have just bought a lightweight Maclaren pushchair. A lot of Mums use a baby carrier to get around but I find them uncomfortable.
    Hope this helps. If you want to meet in Central when you are settled for a coffee then PM me!

Speculator is offline Registered User

Sorry, tried to edit my post but geobaby site went down as soon as I realised my mistake. Aptamil is avaliable in Hong Kong but I am not sure if it's exactly the same as the product sold in the UK. Therefore, I recomend you bring plently over from the UK.

Last edited by Speculator; 02-04-2008 at 03:27 PM.

carang is offline Registered User

i find it amazing that people tell you that clothes for kids are expensive.

i LOVE shopping in the markets for kids clothes. i think that kids, especially babies, grow so fast it's completely absurd to spend $100s on on clothes they'll only wear once or twice. if it is something special you need, then it might cost a little more. but for us, i don't feel guilty throwing some clothes away if they've seen better days if i've only spent $10 on it.

my personal opinion though.

as for where to live, you have to come and see. go into a serviced suite for as long as you can so that you can decide what is best for YOUR family. every one has different priorities/budgets. we can all suggest what we think are good options, but if you read them all, you'll find that much of HK can be suggested.

good luck!
    PS> Rani, i think you are thinking about President's Choice products from Canada. PnS no longer carries them, but they still have Waitrose.

Aptamil can be found at Wellcome online as well as Park n shop.

Wellcome

Parknshop

Formula milk in HK are still sold in tins, (similar to paint tins) and not the easy to open plastic cartons sold in the UK!

Baby clothes are cheap in HK markets but Asda/TKmaxx/Matalan/Tesco/Primark in the UK all stock similar priced clothes that are much better in quality.

BTW, if you drink tea, tea bags are very expensive in HK, especially PG tips. Tesco were selling bogof packs of PG before xmas and we stocked up ready for our next trip to HK!

jools is offline Registered User

The other thing with market shopping is you're not guaranteed what stock they will have. I have trapsed over to Stanley from Discovery Bay, on more than one occasion, and found that they don't have what I'm after. Yes the markets are cheap, but on a personal note trawling around markets with kids in tow is not my idea of a good day out-but as I say that's just me-you may love it.

When I was home this Summer, I was able to pick up t-shirts in Tescos much cheaper than even the markets here. So as I say you may want to stock up on cotton layers before you arrive, if nothing else to tide you over until you can get to the markets.

JoTs is offline Registered User

Hi Jools

We moved here from the UK last April, with my son who was 18 months then and we love it. He is over 2 now and I am expecting No 2 in 9 weeks (help!).

You can buy Aptimal here - I have seen it in the Wellcome by us (The Belcher's). Also you can get Weetabix and porridge anywhere.

Personally I wouldn't want to live in Mid-Levels with a little one as getting around with a buggy would be a nightmare, so many steps. We live in Belcher's in Pokfulam and love it - many many kids and close enough to Central but far enough away if you know what I mean. Definitely invest in a Maclaren type buggy here - you must be able to fold it up quickly in and out of taxis and buses.

It is quite cold here at the moment, but come March it will warm up - we came in April and my son only wore shorts & t-shirts from when we arrived until November.

Hope that helps.

Jo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast