Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tips for breastfeeding in pubic?

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by joannek View Post
    btw, i think you'll need nursing covers when you're on the plane, cos the person sitting next to you is really really close, and if it's a man, he will be able to see your breasts.
    And if it's a woman she won't???

joannek is offline Registered User

hee hee, personally i don't mind a woman seeing my breast, but i mind when a man does. =)

capital is offline Banned

I am the same, I don't care if a woman sees me, but if I am around men then I cover up.
    I never had any problems BF in HK with a baby or toddler, except for a lot of staring one time in McDonald's by 2 chinese middle aged men. I suppose they have never seen anyone BF.
    The biggest problem was my MIL, who kept covering my up and kept a sharp eye out for any slip of a blanket. but whatever keeps someone happy and comfortable!

WE flew on oasis a few weeks ago in the bulkhead and theyoffered us the bassinet even though my child is 23 months old, I think the weight limit was 20 Kilo on that one, so different airlines have different weight limits. I find the aisle seat best for BF as you have a bit more room for your arms, just have to watch for the carts coming by.

I wish I had know about the pram pushers guide, I think that would be very handy and save you frustration.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

LLL-HK organizes events called Tea Breaks where we meet in coffee shops around the territory. We hope these gatherings will encourage new mothers to get out and about with their breastfeeding baby. You can be sure of a supportive environment if you are breastfeeding in public for the first time. And for all of us, it’s a chance to catch up with some like-minded mothers.

If you are interested to join us the schedule of our meetings is available at http://www.lllhk.org/Meetings.html

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Jeanmom is offline Registered User

Thank you all so much for your replies. They are really helpful and make me feel a lot better about nursing in public. It's sad that one of my friends has just weaned her 2nd daughter because she is too afraid to BF in HK.

I am considering buying a nursing cover too. Like joannek said, I might have a man sitting next to me on the plane. I think the man might be more embarrassed than I do if he sees my breasts. After all, like a lot of you said, I am just feeding my daughter and that’s what a mother does.

I have expected that the bassinet might not fit my daughter by the time we take the flight but I think I will go ahead and ask for it just to give my lap a break. :P

For those of you who said there are nursing rooms in some shopping malls, could you please specify which ones? It's funny that a lot of you commended HK people are just too busy to even notice what you are doing at Starbucks or other coffee shops. Yeah, they walk sooooo fast. I remembered how fast people walked pass when I was in the MTR stations last time I came back.

Nashua852:You mentioned Prampushers Guide to Hong Kong. What is dymocks? Sorry I have been away for a while and I don’t know much about it.

Sarah: Thanks so much. I will spend three weeks in HK. Hopefully, I’ll have time to join the meeting. The LLL website and the lactation consultants had helped me A LOT when I started breastfeeding. I had a C-section and the incision hurt so bad. I had lumps in my breasts and even under my armpits plus mastitis. Long story short. BFing has become my 2nd nature now. The law in a lot of states in the U.S protects nursing in public. But I am a bit afraid when I travel back to HK since everything is new to me. Without a lot of support from the lactation consultants and my friends, I won’t be able to succeed. Now, I feel really proud to have breastfed my daughter for 6 months already and I will continue as long as I can.

One more question, for 8 months-old, how many feedings do they need in general? I have started feeding my daughter a bit of rice cereal in the evening before feeding but she ain't very interested and sometimes pushes it out.

BTW, for the tea breaks, do I need to pre-register?

mosmom is offline Registered User

jeanmom
    i live in the new territories and i'm still uncomfortable about bf'ing my baby in public. i've only seen once that a woman was bf'ing (in a train station), so i haven't been brave enough (i know, i know..).
    now my baby is 7 1/2 months old and i either bf her in the designated areas in the malls or i use my expressed milk from the bottle or, when it happens to be lunch or dinner time, i give her the solids.
    i find that the grand century place in mong kok has a nice little bf room. however, i think vegemite_kid (don't know if that's the right username?) once set up a list of places where you can bf comfortably. you might want to contact her by pm.
    when i flew with her last dec./jan., i made use of the blankets on the plane to cover up. if your little is still not accustomed to eating solids, then don't bother the hassle with the solids on the plane.
    have a lovely trip!

ps: dymocks is a bookshop.

Thanks mosmom. I found dymocks website and will look up the book once I'm back.

We just started solid so I am not sure how she will do 2 months later when we are ready for the trip. Well, feeding solid is definitely a messy job since my daughter always put her hands in the mouth during the feeding and touches everything with her messy little hands.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast