Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Should I have the baby in HK or Canada?

pilotgirlcan is offline Registered User

Should I have the baby in HK or Canada?

I will be living in Hong Kong for the next 5 years or so and am pregnant with my first. I have the option of having the baby in Hong Kong or Canada. Which would be better? If born in Hong Kong does the baby have a Chinese birth certificate?

carang is offline Registered User

if born in hk the baby gets a HK birth certificate. unless you are a HK PR (that is of chinese decent) this entitles the baby to nothing.

being born here does not give your child any special rights (unless the baby is of chinese decent and you are a HK PR)

carang is offline Registered User

equally, being born here does not mean that your baby is not able to apply for canadian citizenship. both of mine were born here. i'm canadian. hubby is local chinese.

my kids have both, canadian citizenship/passport(due to me) and HKPR status (due to their father)

C bebe is offline Registered User

i've been wondering the same thing...

i'm pregnant with my 1st and have been debating whether to have the baby here in HK or back home in US (los angeles).

it'd be great to have family & friends (esp. mom) to take care of me afterwards but then my husband wouldn't be able to stay for a long time. he would most likely take a 2-wk vacation, if that, and have to fly back to HK for work.

i've heard of many expats going back home to have their baby. for those, was it difficult? how old before the baby can travel and you can return home to HK? how about all the baby stuff?

Smiles is offline Registered User

I'd be interested to know how people manage having the baby back home.
    How do you time having the baby with making sure you're husband is there? (afterall you can't predict the exact date they arrive...)

Also most airlines won't let you fly after 35 weeks and although having family and friends there I'd be pretty miserable without my hubby.

Canucker is offline Registered User

Hi pilotgirlcan,

I had my first one in HK last September and am due with my second at the end of the year and will also have him/her here. Queen Mary was great. Both my parents and my in-laws came out for a vist after and I found it was just nice to recover in my house, in my own bed, around all my things right in HK, with my husband and friends (if I needed them) here. But it is a personal choice and one only you can make.

Best,
    Canucker

rebekah is offline Registered User

C bebe,

you have to decide what is best for you but let me point out a few things. first, if your husband is only there for 2 weeks, you'll need to be induced or schedule a c/s to guarantee that he is there when the baby is born. I don't know your medical situation, and that may be something you need anyway, but it's a thought to consider.

second, going away to have the baby means that everyone you have ever known wants to see you in the month?6 weeks? that you are home, and you probably will want that time to stare at your baby and spend time as a family.

third, babies change SO FAST you probably wouldn't want to your husband to miss any of those first exciting weeks.

I made a decision to have the baby here, my husband took a week off, plus his 1 week paternity leave, and we really, thoroughly enjoyed having time with the 3 of us as a family. baby is now almost 6 weeks old and she and I are going to the states to visit for 3.5 weeks in July, I know she will continue to change quickly, but I am now up to going all over with her and have figured out what i need and don't need when we go out, etc. and I know my baby, so no one will be confusing me with conflicting advice, etc.

Obviously, this decision worked for me, but isn't for everyone. consider your options, and maybe add a third one of having your mom or someone come stay after if you really think you'll need more than 2 weeks of help (you might if you have a c section, as someone who has had one how much help they needed at the time)

Sleuth is offline Registered User

I would vote for having the baby where you currently are.
    You have your doctor, your insurance, your friends and family, you know the hospital. Also, you know where to buy things (big things, little things) in case you need them and you know how to handle emergencies should they arise. You are confident in being able to make decisions.
    Once you come to a new place, most all of that goes out the window. Seems to me you would just be adding a level of stress that you probably don't need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast