Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

BCG reaction - OMG!!

carang is offline Registered User

the BCG is for TB. if you plan on remaining in hk for any length of time, i would suggest you do some more research on it and not let your judgement be based on having a scar.

if we were going to move back to canada shortly after the kids were born, we probably wouldn't have had it, however as we've decided to stay in hk for the foreseeable future, we decided to have it for the kids. TB is not eradicated in this area of the world as it is in others.

mambo is offline Registered User

question for carang

Cara,
    I'm from Canada and hv been living in HK for awhile. What other vaccines did you get for your children that Canada requires but not neccessarily given in the HK public system. Did you vaccinate public or private? Just wondering what my kids shd be vaccinated with and what is 'optional'? Thanks.

tstmum is offline Registered User

Thanks for your reassuring replies. It seems like the reaction is normal (but ugly!). Fortunately I delivered in a private hospital so the injection was given in the hip, not the arm. I freaked out a little this time as my first child just got a bit of a bump but no scar (and I was immunised for TB as a teenager in my home country and never scarred).

For those concerned about the cosmetic aspect, BCG is given for a reason - the incidence of TB in HK is fairly high and more so in other parts of Asia. We are expats but plan on being in HK for a while longer so opted for the BCG.

carang is offline Registered User

i haven't done any other vaccinations other than those offered through the public system.

when/if we decide to relocate back to canada, i'll do research to find out what they've missed from the canadian schedule.

sorry i can't be of more help.

hkaussie is offline Registered User

I agree - Nicole it is seen as important to get it if you live in this region, remember how close we are to Philippines and China, there are still many cases of TB floating around. It's not like living in Australia.

I wonder why they routinely do it in the arm though?? Is there a good reason? You would think the leg would be just as effective.

mel_g20 is offline Registered User

My daughter had her BCG done in Shanghai, in the leg at 4 months, and also had a bad reaction. I took her to a doctor in the UK and they were concerned by the reaction size and they gave her an X ray and antibiotics, she developed an infection. They said it could have been caused by her being given too much vaccine, the vaccine being administered too deep or simply her bodies response. It is not common in Western countries to give the vaccine in the leg, it is usually in the arm. I would keep a close eye on it, and go back to the doctor if it does keep getting bigger. My daughters is still healing and she is 19 months old.

TB is on the increase in many countries including the states and the UK. Any child/adult over 4 months would always be checked with a prick test prior to the vaccine being given to ensure that they have not come into contact with TB already. I was given the test at school when I was in my early teens, and then given the BCG vaccine - so it is still quite common to have it, certainly in the UK. I have a very small scar that I can hardly see. With a BCG, a reaction is important I have been told - it is a good sign that the vaccine is working.

In Shanghai alot of people spit and cough without covering their mouth, so there is a great risk of TB being passed on. I would check the recommendations for HK before deciding whether your children should have it.

jaetee is offline Registered User

I delivered at Adventist and my baby got the vaccine in the arm as well. :(

JoTs is offline Registered User

My son had the BCG at one day old in the UK, it was in his arm and after a few weeks it had a reaction - I had completely forgotten and thought he had a mosquito bite until my friend reminded me!

My daughter was born here and had the injection in her thigh at 5 days old - again a reaction but this time I know what it is!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast