Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BF in Hong Kong

michtan is offline Registered User

BF in Hong Kong

Hi,

Hope i'm posting on the right thread. My family had just relocated to Hong Kong. I have been here for 3 weeks and i notice that BF is not very common in HK! Please tell me that i'm wrong cos i couldn't find any nursing room like it's available everywhere in Singapore. Unless the people feed in the public!!!

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

Hi Michtan,

Welcome to Hong Kong!

You should find this geobaby article useful; http://www.geobaby.com/articles/baby...-in-hong-kong/

I'd also recommend getting the Prampushers guide to Hong Kong it's a map that fits in your nappy bag about the most baby friendly places in HK. Where to change, feed, shop etc and how to get there with a buggy.

I breastfeed my son in most starbucks (he is now 7 months old -- well next week!) using a nursing cover sometimes but mostly wearing nursing tops.

You can also contact La Leche League for their tea breaks in Hong Kong encouraging women to nurse in public with support from fellow nursers.

Don't be intimidated by it! All you're doing is giving your child his/her food!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Babycare Room Award

The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) and the Dept. of Health are giving out an award for the best Babycare room. Their stated aim is:

" To encourage provision of desirable babycare facilities by private enterprises and public organizations in public areas, so as to promote breastfeeding."

i.e. the place should be welcoming & child friendly... have comfortable chairs for breastfeeding... should be separate from the toilet.. should have hand washing facilities.. etc.

If you would like to nominate your favourite baby rooms, you can download a nomination form at:
    http://www.fhs.gov.hk/eindex.html
    On the right of the screen you will see the logo : Babycare Room Award.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Sleuth is offline Registered User

A maya wrap has a long tail which you can toss over your shoulder and then feed in public. It's easier than trying to time feedings to an arrival at the specific places in HK that allow it.

buddhafun is offline Registered User

It's not common in HK, this is formula-land... I am still nursing my 16 month old toddler, but I do it in public anyway. While you get some reactions, most people seem fairly pleasant about it and not bothered. Be brave! It's your baby's health!

carmenwong is offline Registered User

Hi and welcome to Hong Kong!
    If you happen to be at a shopping mall w/ Mark 'n Spencer, you may drop by to ask them for a fitting room, I did this several times when I was breastfeeding my girl, they're happy to let you use their fitting room to breastfeed.

peainpod is offline Registered User

In Hong Kong, it's definitely easier to just nip into some fitting room in a clothing store for a quick round of breastfeeding when out and about, rather than search around for a babycare room. (The only babycare rooms I've nursed in are in the Jusco and Apita department stores in Taikooshing.) Depending on where you are, some of the fitting rooms are a lot more spacious and comfortable than the babycare rooms too!

michtan is offline Registered User

I tried nursing in a corner using a nursing shawl but it didn't work! People do look from time to time. Fitting room might be a good ideal but my boy takes up to 30 mins per feed. Is that okay?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast