Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Brands & things

carang is offline Registered User

my brother and father have bought stuff from shopinhk quite a few times and have always been satisfied with the service, thanks rani!

how does the doublehappiness work... i registered, but there was no way to select gifts... do i actually have to go to the shop and write down all of the information and then come home and enter it all????

that seems REALLY inconvenient....

kmalia is offline Registered User

I also like shopinhk.com - but i wanted to register for a bunch of specific items that were not offered there, so i chose doublehappiness.com.hk

The way DH works is that they have several items online (like shopinhk) that you can just click on and register for easily. But their stock is quite limited.
    They are also 'partners' with shops like Mothercare and B2B, and you have to go to those stores and use the DH registration form and fill out the sku number and description of those items that you want, then you fax the form to DH and they input those items to your online registry page. Then they arrange to have them picked up from the shops and delivered to your house when people purchase the items for you.
    The process is a bit inconvenient, but it really will help out my family and friends overseas who want to buy me things, but do not want to deal with the shipping.

You can also choose 'customized' gifts - which are not from their online store, or from any of their partner stores, but they add 12% onto the cost of those items, and they don't actually purchase the items for you, they just wire the cash to your account when someone chooses to buy it for you - so really, it is better to just ask for cash in that case.

carang is offline Registered User

too bad... just don't have time to run around to 20 different shops to write down anything my kids might like for christmas...that's why shopinhk is so great!

when i do presents for home, i do amazon.ca and it works a treat....

thanks for the info kmalia, i appreciate the time you took to type it all out. VERY kind of you! thanks!

I hear you! No problem at all! I had already done all the research, so it is no problem sharing!
    I do wish we had the system of going to shops and 'scanning' items, like in the US! Would make it tons easier.
    I just hated to see my relatives buying and shipping all the way to HKG, especially if it was stuff we didn't need/want (like the dog stroller my MIL bought my 3lb yorkie for Christmas)! :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

My parents have a better solution - they don't buy me anything and ship it over, then when we're together, they make up for it by buying me heaps ;) ;) But it goes both ways coz I've been really slack about buying them gifts too...

I've been buying a LOT of stuff the past couple of weeks - getting organised! I know I still have 3 months to go but I want to be as prepared as possible!! It seems never ending... I got a bunch of little things today at Eugene centre!! It feels good to be ticking things off my list at least!

Decided to resurrect this thread as I am now in full shopping mode!

- Breast pump - was going to rent one, but now thinking buying is reasonable. Any experienced moms out there have their favorite?

- Pacifiers/Dummies - any good brands for newborns? I know the books say it will depend on your baby, but there must be a 'popular' choice out there we can start with!

- Formula - will it be important to have some formula ready in case my milk doesn't come in?

- Baby Bath - any thoughts? fixed tub with infant seat? one of those infant bath supports? or plain old kitchen sink?!?

- Winter Clothes - baby will be born in late November, how much 'coverage' does he really need? If I dress him in a long sleeve onsie with feet and then wrap him in a 100% cotton blanket and cover his head will he be warm enough? Do I need a jacket for outside trips?

any thoughts much appreciated!

Tvann is offline Registered User

Baby bottles

Hi Everyone,

i just joined lunch yesterday and am so happy to have found this group!!

I did want to ask if anyone had any suggestions on strollers and cribs? i'm so clueless, and i have no idea what i'm suppose to look out for.

i do have 1 great advice when it comes to bottles. My sister is law sent over Dr Brown's bottles to me which are amazing cos they reduce the gas and discomfort for the baby so you don't need to really burp him/her. I saw her using it last time i saw her and she swears by them. i don't think they sell in HK tho, gotta get them sent over.

Tara

simoneb is offline Registered User

Hi Kmalia,

I can recommend the dumies/pacifiers from NUK, thats the one we used and our first was happy with them. We had the silicone ones.

Baby Bath - depends on the size of your baby - our first was so big that he only fit in the baby bath for a 2 weeks and then we started bathing him in a regular tub. I think though that the bath support is very helpful as you can use them a long time

Not sure on what kind of formula to use here in HK.

With regards to the winter clothes a basic outfit as you describe should be fine I would add a hat and yes a jacket just in case.

Hope that helps a bit.. :)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast