Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More advice about Hospitals

staceycolyer is offline Registered User

More advice about Hospitals

Hi again! Well, I am now 7 and a half weeks along. My first OBGYN appointment is only next week, later than I expected it to be because of hospitals getting booked up quickly. I was told that I would be given forms to fill in at my first appointment to choose a hospital. I am still really worried about not getting into the hospital I wanted to. We are intending to go to a private hospital, and had initially thought of Matilda. However, if we can't get into Matilda then I am not sure at all about which hospital to choose. Can anyone recommend private hospitals, or give any further advice about hospital bookings as late as 8 weeks. (although I did hear that most hospitals will only take a booking at 9 weeks, so maybe I won't be too late...fingers crossed!)

Thanks in advance for all info and advice.

Dink is offline Registered User

Hi there - I am sure you will be absolutely fine and get the hospital of your choice. I don't think the Matilda takes bookings til 9 weeks anyway, so that's perfect timing for you. Others can share their experiences with the private hospitals (I'm going public, which is also okay), but if you're worrying about it you can always call a couple and take a look around - this is what I did when I was deciding where to go, then you can ask all the questions you want and get some reassurance that the place suits your needs. You will be fine, relax and enjoy it ;-)

LeahH is offline Registered User

A month ago I was booked into Matilda at 9 weeks and was confirmed immediately (last time around I was waitlisted for ages, but all was ok in the end). My Obgyn delivers there regularly which I understand is a factor. I would highly recommend Matilda - it was a wonderful experience giving birth there.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I loved the Matilda and have booked in again for my next delivery. Months after checking out from there I used to fantasise about going back just for a night to be taken care of!

Another hospital that gets a good rap on that side of HK is the Adventist.

But I've heard the food at the Matilda is way better

happyvalleygirl is offline Registered User

LeahH - How long were you waitlisted at Matilda? My OBY sent my forms at 8 weeks and I am placed on the waitlist. Did you sign up at any other hospital in the meantime? Did you receive your deposit back (if any paid)?

MLBW Guest

By the time I got to booking a room it was 8 weeks and I was told that the hospital I wanted had no empty spots. So, we decided that I would go back to my home country to give birth which required quite a bit of effort and planning but in the end was the best experience I could have hoped for.

Isn't it true that in HK to give birth in one of the private hospitals you have to have paid the amount in full before you give birth? Because the hospitals require bookings for your due date does that also put pressure on your doctor to make sure you go into labor on that day--in other words--to always use induction if you don't go into labor before your due date?

I'm interested to know how the private (and public) hospitals deal with women who don't go into labor until after their due date? What is the protocol. In my home country the general rule is that you are given a week after that and if not they try to convince you to be induced for the safety of the baby.

rachelgurr is offline Registered User

Hi MLBW

I gave birth at the Baptist hospital in Kowloon Tong. My doctor was willing to let me go 2 weeks overdue, there was no pressure to be induced - but in the end I was only 2 days over. Maybe this depends upon your doctor but I'm not sure.

The Baptist is a private hospital, and we just had to pay a deposit (of $6,000) to secure our place. Again I'm not sure if this changes from hospital to hospital. I would definitely recommend visiting the hospital to help make up your mind - I found that it was very reassuring to know what to expect and to ask questions ;-)

I had a great experience at the Baptist, the staff were fantastic and I definitely wouldn't think twice about going there again. Hope this helps

Staceycolyer good luck and I hope you get the bed you want xx

LeahH is offline Registered User

We didn't have to pay any sort of deposit upon booking at the Matilda. Last time around I was waitlisted for a few months (bit nerve wracking) and had a confirmed booking at Adventist to fall back on (again, no deposit required).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast