Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Frozen v. Fresh food

aussiegal is offline Registered User

MLBW, i think that you've hit the nail on the head. The biggest problem these smaller operators have is not knowing how to or bothering with marketing, to foreigners anyway. There's absolutely no doubt that they'd sell more if people actually knew they existed!

MLBW Guest

Nicole--No problem, you've got my didgets!

Aussiegal--Yeah, well...for example with the Chen family--I don't think the mom is literate--so if you haven't made it beyond the 6th grade it's pretty hard to know about marketing, right? (It took her a good while to write down their phone number--and some of the numbers are written upside down or backward). But, they do have a deep relationship with their land--their land is kind of like another family member--you can really tell!

geomum is offline Registered User

Thanks MLBW you have provided me with a wealth of info about buying organic straight from the local farmers. I will be going to the Organic Vegetable Market at Star Ferry Pier tomorrow and also ordering from the Organic Garden Veggie Van :)

geomum is offline Registered User

Also MLBW can you tell me when is the Strawberry picking? I would so LOVE to come over but on a weekday. I would so want my 11 month old daughter to be as close to nature as possible although in a place like HK is hard to do :(

SarahinHK is offline Registered User

What an interesting thread, it has provided for some great reading.

Just wanted to say thank you to MLBW for your suggestions with the Veggie Van. It really is great that local farmers are trying to be conscious of the quality of the produce they are growing by going organic (and having studied nutrition I am all too aware for the need to eat wholesome fresh vegetables!). Since being in HK I always wonder about where the vegetables I buy and eat come from and about the conditions under which they were grown, harvested and stored in before they reach the supermarket shelves. Being able to buy direct from the farmers is fantastic and at $150 a week for 3kg of veggies is easy on the budget!

Also would love to know when/where the strawberry picking is!

carang is offline Registered User

interesting... i was talking to my cousin about this thread. she is studying geology and ecology at uni. she seems to think that "going organic" is great except for the fact that there is no way on this earth that enough food can be grown to feed the entire planet or even close to it from organicly grown stuff.... she is convinced that organic stuff will remain a luxury with higher prices because of this and it will not go "mainstream"

Edie is offline Registered User

Wow.... I'm glad that my initial question triggered such an interesting discussion! I've learnt alot and will definitely buy organic produce from one of those local farmers suggested by MLBW. Thanks again for all of your insightful comments!

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    interesting... i was talking to my cousin about this thread. she is studying geology and ecology at uni. she seems to think that "going organic" is great except for the fact that there is no way on this earth that enough food can be grown to feed the entire planet or even close to it from organicly grown stuff.... she is convinced that organic stuff will remain a luxury with higher prices because of this and it will not go "mainstream"
    But no one knows the future...thankfully! If most people just started a small garden beside their house, nearly everyone would have access to better quality produce (maybe not "certified organic" but...) People in Taiwan do this...nearly everywhere you look someone is growing some sort of vegetable on a plot of land. In HK, not so much... :0)

I think there is a substantial movement, though to cut out all the toxic junk we're dumping on our fields, though. There has got to be a healthier/safer way to grow things. The worldwide economic feasibility of everyone eating truly organic produce still won't keep me from personally exploring other alternatives. yeah2yeah2

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast