Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Helpers & Crowded Places

Neha is offline Banned

Helpers & Crowded Places

Hi

Was just wondering if any body is asking their helpers to avoid crowded places on Sunday?( their off day)

Neha

Bumps Guest

No way! I saw this on the news last night and could not believe it.

mel_g20 is offline Registered User

Because of swine flu?

I have thought it, but not sure I can ask it? I am abit concerned though?

Sorry, not sure what was on the news?

blumenelf is offline Registered User

I don't think it is the right thing to do to ask our helpers to avoid crowded places because of the swine flu. However, I suggested my helper that she takes a mask or two along on Sundays and I also provided her with a little flasks of hand cleaning lotion. And my helper totally agrees, because she has no desire to get sick either and you can be at ease that she will not pass anything on to you/your family.

ukgirl is offline Registered User

I think it is right to ask your helper to stay away from crowded places during this swine flu - they have closed another secondary school in Wan Chai now and I think all other secondary schools will close before the end of the academic year.
    If your helper goes out and catches this flu and then returns to work you are putting yourself and your children at risk.
    A friend of mine has asked her helper not to leave the house as she is affraid her new born baby is at risk.

audlin is offline Registered User

My personal opinion is that anybody is at risk. Your husband could travel on business and bring it back, or you could be shopping with your baby in Central and pick up the bug.

I think it is out of order to ask your helper to avoid crowded places on her only day off when that is most probably where all her friends gather. Yes, you can arm her with a mask or wipes but you are taking it a step to far to ask her to do anything else.

I have two children under 2 and not concerned. They could catch it off me or just sitting in Starbucks or on the MTR.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I'm concerned but not quite ready to ask my helper to avoid big crowds. I did think of telling her that if she wanted to hang out with a friend or two at our house she could. I have a 3 month old and two other young children (3 and 2) and am worried as they get sick so easily here.

Our helper is smart and very aware of the situation so hopefully she will minimise the risks without me telling her.

I don't think comparing helper's gatherings on sundays to any other situation in HK (like husband going to work etc) is a logical comparison. My husband certainly doesn't share his food, sit really close to others for long periods of time (if any!) etc. You just have to walk through central on a sunday to realise how perfect a place it is for spreading infection. These poor women are forced to spend their day in small very very crowded public spaces. I'd be surprised if helpers don't turn out to be one of the worst hit by the flu. Not good for them or our children!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I don't think I would ask my helper to avoid crowed places either.

As audlin said, DH could bring it (mine works in confined spaces and travels a lot by air, so sorry aussiegal I have to disagree. Yes, it does get crowded but not EVERY helper goes into central, mine, for example used to go hiking and take picnics with a few of her friends and then go night clubbing). As a side, we are currently in Melbourne with 1,000+ (10-fold HK count) cases and we are still going to the zoo, snow and other public places with the kids.

blumenelf - I like your thinking; by having a discussion and providing items I think you have gone about it in a really smart way. I will have to remember this for when we get back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast