Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Potty training advice

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

It's so frustrating, isn't it? My son was partly trained at 2.5yrs, then regressed and I gave up and put him back in nappies. Basically, he would do it the first week for the incentives (sweeties, stickers, books etc) then get bored and start wetting his pants. We tried again at 2yrs 8mths - similar story. And then a couple of months later. I tried every trick in the book - fun Thomas the Tank Engine pants, making him clean the mess, rewards... He just was being contrary.

He's a very smart kid, and a great negotiator, so in the end we came to an agreement. He could stay in nappies till his 3rd birthday, then the day after his birthday, he would only have underpants. We agreed that 3yr olds didn't wear nappies during the day.

And the day after his 3rd birthday, I took away all nappies, and he has been dry ever since. And maybe only 2 accidents in the first month without nappies.

I hadn't even thought about tackling night-time nappies, but then when he was 3yrs 2mths, he surprised me by staying dry at night for a week. I took away nighttime nappies (with his agreement!) and he has very rarely wet the bed.

So, in short, if your son is like mine and perfectly capable of using the bathroom when needed, maybe you need to work from another angle and get his 'buy-in' - maybe put him back in pull-ups for a while and even let him pick the date when he will stop wearing nappies and be a big boy.

Matty is offline Registered User

Honkyblues, it sounds just like my story.

We did explain to him that he is a big boy and there would be no more nappies. He loved the trade of the nappies for the cool new undies.

We really can't go back to nappies now. He starts nursery in 5 weeks.
    It's so frustrating, because he's already shown that he is capable of holding it, and telling us when he needs to go, he can even pull his pants down and get himself on the potty.

I'm lost. AAAAAARRRGGGHHH!

sunrays is offline Registered User

Hold in there Matty. I've a feeling he knows he's pushing your buttons and enjoying the reaction. Clever little whatsit!! Maybe just take a few days "off" and let him get on with it. Wish I could wave a magic wand for you : )

Thanks Sunrays.
    Are you sure you don't want to take him with you to the UK for a few weeks? I'm sure he'll be no trouble:-)

sunrays is offline Registered User

Are you open to the idea of trying homeopathy?? Things are much better for us at night now since we went on Monday.

Speculator is offline Registered User

My eldest daughter is 2.4yrs and thinks the potty is a hat and puts it on her head! I really must potty train her before we return to the UK in August.

Bumps Guest

Speculator - why don't you her her a special hat to wear to divert the attention?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sunrays View Post
    Are you open to the idea of trying homeopathy?? Things are much better for us at night now since we went on Monday.
    Will it change his personality?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast