Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

sleeping time?

Obiwan is offline Registered User

How do you ladies get your babies to sleep so early. At what age can we start teaching them to go to bed at 7 - 8 pm? My baby (2.5 weeks now) is still waking up every 3 - 4 hours for feeds ....

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

Our bedtime routine starts at 8pm and my 19mth old is usually asleep by 8.30pm. I'm a total believer in getting to bed before 8.30pm - they'll have to get to bed early once they start school, and secondly, so that I get some time to myself.

HK is notorious for its late bedtimes and it's really not doing children any good. A friend's 14mth old daughter goes to bed at 12midnight and that's LATE! I have school age kids coming to me for lessons after school who tell me they usually go to bed at 2am!! How they function at school the next day I do not know.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    How do you ladies get your babies to sleep so early. At what age can we start teaching them to go to bed at 7 - 8 pm? My baby (2.5 weeks now) is still waking up every 3 - 4 hours for feeds ....
    Obiwan, when my son was that age I started a bedtime routine around 5pm, depending if he was awake if he wasn't it started a little later. I did bath time, massage, then feed and then bed around 6pm. He still woke 3-4 hours later for a feed but I just kept up the bath/feed/bed routine at a similar time everynight. My son is now 9 months old and he has dinner at 5pm, then bathtime, bottle and story time then bed by 7pm. He is usually crashed out by 6.30pm.

You just have to stick to a bedtime routine.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Oh, your baby will be doing that for some time now, she`s fresh out of the womb. My baby was feeding that often for months and months.
    I started a bedtime routine with him at about 2 weeks - bath, boob and bed. He`s never had a problem distinguishing night from day and has never confused them, despite getting up every few hours to feed all the time. One word of caution would be about letting your baby breastfeed right before bed. Now my baby is dependent on it and basically cannot sleep without it.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Changing sleeping time

Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    My 10 month old lately has been going to bed at around 8pm and out of all her different bedtimes (from 11pm, to 10pm, to 9pm) this actually works best for us. I think she is getting more sleep at night now - although she seems to do better with only one daily nap, I think. From my limited experience, it seems that my daughter generally wakes around the same time regardless of when we put her to bed. And if I put her to bed later, she needs more sleep in the day time. At the moment, my husband isn't seeing her much - he's studying part time for about 4 months... but after his exams, he'll be getting home around 7 or 7:30 again and he'll still be able to see her a bit before bed. That's if I'm still doing the same bedtime routine by then ;)
    Hi Nicolejoy - I see that you have changed the sleeping time for your baby a few times. We're in the process of doing that for our almost 6 month old baby too and was wondering what tips you had to get your baby to go to bed earlier after being on a schedule of going to bed later.

Our baby sleeps now at around 10/10:15. Usually he naps for 1/2 hour or so at 7:30. Then at 8pm, I give him a quick breast feed, then daddy gets home at 8:30, plays with him for a 10 minutes while dinner is being heated. Then our son sits and watches us eat. After dinner, he plays a little bit more with dad and at 9:30, we feed him again (short BF, supplemented by a bottle of formula given by dad) and then bed by 10 or 10:15. Last week, we tried to put him to bed earlier by switching his 8pm feed to 8:15 and then when dad comes home giving him his bottle of formula right away and then putting him down before we have dinner so he goes down by 8:45. Well, he would have none of that and cried and cried and cried.

So I was just wondering how you went about putting your baby down earlier. Thanks for any advice! :)

carang is offline Registered User

you can't change overnight and expect baby to be ok with it. it has to be done VERY gradually... like 10 minutes per day.

also, you can't "play" with him and then expect him to sleep right away. he needs "wind-down" time just as much as the rest of us.

is there anyway that you can get dinner ready before hubby gets home so that it is ready to go when daddy walks in the door? then forget the playing, go straight for dinner. after dinner, then give the bottle?

if you cut out the "playing" that might help and it would also bring bedtime earlier by up to 30 minutes to start with.

once that is done, then you have to decide whether daddy can get home earlier or not. if not, then baby will have to go to sleep before daddy gets home, if you want an earlier bedtime.

Thank you karmah1 and shenzhennifer!

So basically it's about starting a bedtime routine early, say at 6pm or 7pm, and the baby will sleep for longer stretches over times (hopefully through the night in time), despite waking up every 3 and 4 hours for feeds now.

I'll try that TODAY! Thank you very much.

I have to say ... it sure ain't easy raising kids for first time parents, sigh.

Thank you very much everyone for your valuable advice and tips!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast