Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you use for time out?

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

What do you use for time out?

I am planning to start using timeout on my 14mths girl. However, since she is a very active toddler, I am pretty sure she will not stand in a corner or sit in a chair by herself.
    I don't want to put her in the cot as I am afraid she will associate that with something unpleasant and be afraid to sleep.
    I can't put her in any of my two rooms as they are too unsafe for her to be left alone.
    I am thinking of a playpen, but not sure if I should invest in that just for timeout plus the biggest issue is the space. Since the house is already small, another bulky item like a playpen must be carefully considered!
    Ideas from experienced moms? thanks!

carang is offline Registered User

14 m is still too young. id wait until around 18-20 m.

Neha is offline Banned

exactly 14 months is bit too young and they will not truly understand and the desired effect will not be lasting

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Yeah, 14 months is WAAAY too early. I don't see a use for time-out yet for my son and he's almost 2-years-old. I hope to hold off on using it for at least another 6 months to 1 year. I've never heard of anyone actually using time out successfully with a 14-month-old.

audlin is offline Registered User

Around 20 months is about right for time out. I got a small round mat from Ikea and I just have to mention the 'naughty spot' and my daughter is sweetness and light :-) Good luck.

NNN
    NNN is offline Registered User

Same as Audlin here.

My husband bought the most boring small rug on earth from Ikea for my son (23 months) to sit on when he acts out.

As hubbie said " It's the rug version of an arrowroot biscuit, beige, no fun patterns or fun strands/fringes to fiddle with, it's just functional".

pixelelf is offline Registered User

i agree that 14mths is too young to understand time out. we bought a black door mat, placed it near the main door. we only send him there when he does realli no no stuff. however, to calm a temper screaming tantrum, the only thing that is working for us now, is to send him into his room (with me) and calmly tell him when he's ready to talk we can go out of the room.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

thanks everyone, I am planning ahead, will start at 18mths. However at this stage if she does something really naughty, what do you do? My friend smacks her baby, but this is not the sort of disclipine I prefer, any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast