Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Postpartum Menstruation??

miriam228 is offline Registered User

Postpartum Menstruation??

Hi,

I have been bf'ing full time for the first 2 months after delivery. Ever since I got back to work, I have been part-time bf'ing & feeding formula (bf once in the morning b4 work and bf twice when I get back home). On the 3rd month one day, I noticed small patches of pinkish discharge, and wondered if it may be my period. It lasted one day only.

Y'day, a month later, I noticed slightly more pinkish/red discharge, and this lasted for 2 days.

Are these called postpartum menstruation, or I need to go for a check-up? As I'm a first time mom, sorry, I have no experience of this!

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User

Did you have your 6 week checkup? If not, you should go and get yourself cleared with your Ob/ Gp. If you did and everything is fine, perhaps you could just ask one of your nurses in your Ob's office. Sounds normal to me since you are b'feeding part time.

Yes, did my 6 wk check-up, Suv.

Asked a friend who is bf'ing part-time too, and she says it's normal.

Just wanted to ask around more, since the first time it came for 1 day only, then 2nd month for 2 days...unlike the "normal" periods we had b4....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

When you're breastfeeding, I think that in a lot of cases, the post partum periods are quite light/irregular/strange. I would probably assume that it's your period - and I probably wouldn't expect things to be back to "normal" until you completely wean!!

I'm still bfing my 13 month old (3 times a day) and am still not regular or "normal" with my cycle!!

Understand a lot of mums are bf'ing full-time, and since I am just part-time bf'ing, thought it would be different. As long I know this is "normal" then it's ok.

My colleague, who gave birth end of Aug, who has been giving formula from day one, still has not has her period back yet! Strange!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

If you are breastfeeding the average time for your period to return is about 13 months but the range is very large. It is unusual but normal for periods to return as early as three months or as late as three years.

If you are partial breastfeeding or pumping instead of direct feeding then the periods are likely to return earlier. One survey found that the Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM) was effective for six months for mother fully breastfeeding directly but only 75% effective for those who returned to work and pumped instead of direct feeding.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

thanka2 is offline Registered User

As stated by the other uses, post-partum periods are usually weird--even if you're not breastfeeding they can be weird because your body is still returning to "normal" after all the hormones of pregnancy.

I was still fully breastfeeding my son and at 8-weeks almost to-the-day post-partum my full period returned. Fully breastfeeding, all the time. So, there is a huge range of "normal." In my family, that is normal with the women--my mom was breastfeeding each of her three children until at least 9 months (some of us longer) and had a regular period during almost the whole time.

If you're having pinkish spotting, just assume that is your "period"--especially if it comes somewhat regularly (even for one day every cycle or month).

So, if you're not using some form of birth control/family planning (assuming you're not looking to be pregnant right now) then it's a good idea to have that all planned out because at this point you can't do the Ecological Breastfeeding thing (depending on LAM to keep you not pregnant--I know almost every doctor advices against it but I still know people who use it).

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM)

Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM) of contraception is actually a very good method and prevents more pregnancies worldwide than any other form of contraception. The guidelines for its use do, however, have to be followed.

For women who meet the criteria (listed below), LAM is 98% - 99.5% effective during the first six months postpartum.

1. Breastfeeding must be the infant's only source of nutrition. Feeding formula, pumping instead of nursing, and feeding solids all reduce the effectiveness of LAM.

2. The infant must breastfeed at least every four hours during the day and at least every six hours at night.

3. The infant must be less than six months old.

4. The mother must not have had a period after 56 days post-partum (when determining fertility, bleeding prior to 56 days post-partum can be ignored).

If, like Thanka2, your periods return before six months you can no longer use LAM. Because the first period is likely to be infertile if it returns before six months you can use the method until your period returns. If your period returns after six months there is a much higher chance that the first period is fertile and so a much higher change of getting pregnant using LAM. And for this reason the method is only recommended for the first six months.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast