Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: What method worked best for you to hire a nanny/helper?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Went through an agency

6 46.15%
  • Hired from friends/acquaintances' recommendations

6 46.15%
  • Hired directly through message board or advertisements

0 0%
  • Other (please explain)

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Method of Hiring a Nanny

canadienne is offline Registered User

Best Method of Hiring a Nanny

Hi all,
    When you hired a full-time or part-time nanny, what methods have you used with success? We are hoping that we might get a referral from acquaintances who move, but we might not get that lucky.

We are uninterested in hiring a cook or a cleaner, just an excellent caregiver. How did you locate the person who was best for your child -- or do you have warnings of what not to do?

Thanks,
    c

carang is offline Registered User

are you talking a properly trained "western" nanny or a domestic helper?

you cannot really compare the two. a proper nanny costs $30,000+/month and a domestic helper's minimum wage is $3580/month.

if you are going for the former, you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever finding someone who will take excellent care of your children. if you are going for the latter, you most likely won't have trouble, but it is more hit and miss because most of the women are not trained in "childcare" specifically.

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User

We use rent-a-mum.

Rent-A-Mum ? Family Care

+852 2523 4868
    Email [email protected]
    Shirley Robinson is the Owner/ Manager

The two women we use are native English speakers with childcare qualifications from FE colleges in England. I feel very confident and happy leaving my sons in their care.

My experience with overseas domestic helpers has been very mixed, both positive and negative.

southside852 is offline Registered User

yes, your post is a bit a confusing in terms of what you mean by "nanny." do you mean a DH?

if you mean DH - we got our helper through a combination of both - she had worked for a close family we knew, but then had to return to the philippines for personal reasons. we then had an agency bring her into hong kong.

i've seen friends hire both ways - agency and through referrals. both have their pros and cons. i have seen them be successful and also failures. i think it's kind of hit or miss and also have a clear understanding of what YOU are looking for and making that explicit right from the start in your search.

woodstock07 is offline Registered User

I've made enquiries about live out part-time qualified "western" nanny with rent-a-mum but was told they are few and far in between and will cost around HK$20k.

that's because you are looking for part-time... you can't get a work visa for part-time work.

canadienne is offline Registered User

Sorry, I just never use the word "helper" because I find it kind of demeaning. It's a habit I can't get into and my friends don't like it when I use the word "servant," so I've settled on "nanny" since what we are looking for is a full time caregiver. Anyway, we had thought we'd likely hire a woman from the Philippines -- you're right, we certainly can't afford a Brit or anything like that. (And I'm not a whiny banker who's exaggerating, ha ha, it's the truth that we couldn't afford an overseas person)

i don't find helper to be demeaning.... servant, maid yes.... helper, no...afterall, that's what they do. they help me run my household efficiently.

HOWEVER, my kids call our helper 'YAYA' which in Tagalog means nanny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast