Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where to give birth in HK?

KateHK is offline Registered User

Where to give birth in HK?

Hi, i've just moved to HK from Shanghai and have found out i'm pregnant. in Shanghai it's easy you decide which hospitals you go to and they provide 'packages' which include everything from all pre-natal care to giving birth. it seems to be different here, you choose an OB and some of them deliver at certain hospitals and there doesn't seem to be fixed fees or packages. can you please give me some advice on this? I have insurance that covers around 15000USD but i hear it may cost more than this which just sounds insane!

rani is offline Administrator

Hi Kate! Welcome to HK.

Have a read through this article. It should answer some of your questions. Hospitals offer maternity packages, but it doesn't include Drs fees. Some Drs also offer packages that include prenatal care, and delivery fees.

Pregnancy in Hong Kong

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I never gave birth in the private hospital in HK but did check some out before. The ones I checked did have an antenatal package in addition to the delivery package but they were exclusive of each other. Actually, I think Union has something where you have to purchase the antenatal package for some reason - can't really remember. Maybe when you enquire at the hospitals you can ask if they have an antenatal package as well, to make it easy for you. I think Unions was about $10Khkd.
    If you have coverage for $15,000usd I don't think you will run into too much trouble finding a good private hospital for that, even including antenatal care. I've only heard people paing $100Khkd+ for their delivery package at Matilda, but they seem to have gotten all the frills like private room, maybe c-section which costs a lot more, etc.

LOJITT is offline Registered User

Hi there

Figuring out total costs can be difficult here. There are 4 main classes of cost- the Obstetrician's fees, the hospital's fees, the anaethetist's fees (if you need epidural/c-section) and the paediatrician's fees. I dont think it's possible to get a package that covers absolutely everything.

Lucy Lord and Grace Cheung (Obstetricians based at Central Medical Practice) do care packages for women who deliver at the Matilda or Adventist and stay in a 4 bed room. This is a fixed price for the antenatal care, attendance at the delivery and post natal care while in hospital and was HK$36000 in Jan of this year. To be clear, that excludes sonographer's scans/the hospital/ paed/anaethetist fees and post natal care once out of the hospital but is a saving on just paying all your Obstetrician bills as you go along.

carang is offline Registered User

and then there's the lowly gov't hospitals which those of us without medical care use. total cost: no more than $500HKD.

LOJITT is offline Registered User

Red face

Good point Carang, but seems a shame to let HK$100k of insurance go to waste

carang is offline Registered User

don't get me wrong... if i had insurance, darn tootin' i'd use it! LOL! just lamenting the fact that i will never enjoy that luxury!

AussieMum is offline Registered User

If you have insurance and plan on using it, I think your first step is to find an Ob that works for you. There are so many in HK, it may be a good idea to tell us where you are living and we might be able to recommend some close by. Then that Ob can recommend a hospital where they deliver. Most Obs deliver at 2 or 3 hospitals so you are likey to get a small choice, and I haven't heard any horror stories about any particular hospital. I would think that avenue would be easier then finding a hospital and then trying to locate a Ob that delivers there that you like.

To give an idea of costs, for the total number of Obstetrician visits including the standard blood tests, scans etc were approximately $30HKD. I then delivered in Matilda, private room, and all costs including delivery, Obstetrician, Pediatrician, tests in hospital etc (all the standard stuff) cost us $100HKD. I had a smooth pregnancy and delivery, and no complications with baby after delivery. It was a standard Vaginal Birth with no drugs or epi (so no Anesthetist costs) so I guess it is fair to say that for this hospital and Ob (Dr Alex Doo) this would be your basic costs. I was not aware of any 'package deals' available with any Obs besides the ones described earlier with Grace Cheung and Lucy Lord. Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Last edited by AussieMum; 07-16-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast