Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to choose baby cot

Cyndi is offline Registered User

How to choose baby cot

We're expecting our 1st baby's arrival in 3 months. I'm anxious about getting everything ready beforehand. We've been to a few shops to check out the baby cots but cannot make up our mind in terms of getting a brand new or 2nd hand one.

Where is the best place to buy a new one?
    Is it safe to get a 2nd hand cot?
    Which brand is good?
    Does it make sense to get one that can turn into a junior's bed?

Please to hear from all the experienced mums.

Thanks
    Cyndi

shri is offline Administrator
    Cindy,

I'm a big fan of Epinions, which is one of the largest consumer ratings websites. Here are some articles which would be of help...

How to Choose Cribs

There is also a good collection of articles on newbuyer.com

http://www.newbuyer.com/babyguide/babycrib/

And finally .. some consumer safety advice from the US Consumer Products Safety Commission.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/cribsafe.html

Hope this collection of articles helps. :)

rini is offline Registered User
    Cyndi,

This site really helped me in choosing a crib for my daughter

http://store.babycenter.com/guides/nursery_furniture

As for where to buy one, there are loads of stores (Mother care, bumps to babies etc). You can also try a second hand crib.

hope this helps

-Rini
    Last edited by shri; 07-08-2003 at 08:57 AM.

shri is offline Administrator
    Rini,

Sowwie .. I don't like people mentioning that other site. Users can click on their adverts which can be seen around here.

Shri

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    For my last baby instead of having a cot I used a sidecar arrangement. I found this very convenient, especially for breastfeeding at night. A sidecar is a cot with only three sides, which fits against the bed. This allows the baby to be close but in his own sleeping space and so not disturbed by the moving of the parents.

My brother-in-law made my sidecar but it is possible to buy commercial ones. I know that the Original Arm’s Reach sidecar was available from ebabyasia, but I don’t know where to get it now. The Arm’s Reach web site is http://www.armsreach.com/product_orig.asp

Best wishes,
    Barb

Cyndi is offline Registered User

Unhappy

The sidecar idea is great, but I'm afraid that will keep my husband up all night as well. He's got a demanding job, and I don't think it is necessary for the both of us up every feeding time. We'll take turns!

Is it safe to leave the baby in the next room by herself or should I move into the room with the baby for the first 3 months or so?

Thanks

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Maybe it is just my husband but he seems to have the ability to slep through all night time distrubances. He hardly ever wakes up when I feed my baby and rarely does when the older children come into our room.

Studies in to SIDS suggest that room sharing (having the crib or other separate sleep surface along side the adult bed or sofa) reduces the likihood. Some people recommend that the baby share the parents bedroom for at least the first six months.

Best wishes,
    Barb

JennyB is offline Registered User

Lightbulb smaller cots

I had read that it was important to get a cot with a rail that could be lowered with one hand (or hands free), so that you can hold the baby with the other arm. We also need a smaller size cot to fit restricted space. Having explored probably every shop in Hong Kong which stocks cots, I am pretty sure that all the smaller sized cots need two hands to lower the rail, as there are clips on both ends of the rail that you have to release.

Then I thought about it and suddenly realised - why not just leave the rail down when the cot is not being used? Then the only time you will need to handle the rail is when your baby is inside and you have both hands free.

For 2nd hand cots, it's supposed to be important to get a new mattress to lower risk of SIDS. Make sure you can buy exactly the right size new mattress before you buy the 2nd hand cot - there shouldn't be any gaps between the mattress and the edge of the cot that baby's body parts can get trapped in. Jusco in Tai Koo has a good selection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast