Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Breast Pump & Storing Breast Milk

armstroe is offline Registered User
    I'm another big fan of the ISIS Avent hand pump. I first used it 6 years ago - and I'm using it again this time. With my first daughter I too could get about 8-10oz in 10/15 mins early in the morning. Before I bought the Avent pump I hired an electric Medala pump, but could hardly get any milk off.

I would pump straight into the bottle she would use for her morning feed, and then at work pump straight into the bottle for her afternoon feed.

To RebeccaMB: I brought in extra sterlised bottles, but left the pump in Milton solution in a plastic tub with a lid between "pumps"
    I also know people who bought two pumps - the ISIS is well priced enough to do this. But so much to carry!

I introduced my first daughter to a bottle of expressed milk when she was a few days old, and continued to exclusively breastfeed from the breast and bottle for 9 months with no confusion.

Because I'm not working now, I am freezing my milk to cover the times I want to go out for a while. My baby takes the thawed milk fine if it isn't too old. They say frozen breastmilk can last three months, but I don't think a 6 month old is happy with the milk they had at 3 months.

Avent has a special kit for expressing at work - it comes with the pump, carry case, bottles and cooling bags. The big issue at work is where to pump. It seems in HK that the most common place is the toilet sadly. Before I went on ML I asked my HR to help me come up with a solution...but nothing transpired. I did find other women very helpful with suggestions like using private meeting rooms. I used the toilets and it was OK. Given this was in the wake of SARs they were very very clean!

Good luck. As much as my babies have benefitted from the milk, I too got a great deal out of feeding after returning to work, especially at night when I found the final bedtime feed very special and relaxing.

armstroe is offline Registered User
    Also to RebeccaMB - I was just washing up my pump when I thought you can probably also use a microwave steam steriliser. I use the Avent one and it fits most microwaves (and most tea rooms at work seem to have a microwave). This is a good option if you don't like the smell of the Milton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12