Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pregnancy Costs

simms is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the info - the anaethestists fees are the shock for me - I had thought they were included in the $4,500 (can the drugs really cost this much?!), so will investigate further (including grilling of insurance company), but it looks like we'll be heading to QM!

Thanks again for your help, everyone

shri is offline Administrator
    Folks,

PLEASE make sure that your doctors rates are firm and will not vary depending on the type of room.

The quote for a delivery should be firm and should not vary between room type. Normally the obgyn will charge as much as 5 times more if they deliver and you have a private room. The hospitals condone and promote this practise and the last thing you need is a bill that bankrupts(!?) you.

Same applies to QM. Rates for certain items change depending on the type of room you are in.

shri is offline Administrator
    Originally posted by simms
    Thanks for the info - the anaethestists fees are the shock for me - I had thought they were included in the $4,500 (can the drugs really cost this much?!), so will investigate further (including grilling of insurance company), but it looks like we'll be heading to QM!

Thanks again for your help, everyone
    He was called on a Sunday and it was treated as an emergency and billed at twice the rate (which is probably why he left his dim sum and showed up pronto) because we were in a private room. Go figure ...

sab
    sab is offline Registered User
    Costed me approximately HK$70k or so (luckily I had insurance!)

HK$10-15k for prenatal checkup including 4D ultrasound

HK$55k for elective caesarian at Adventist (2-person room although there is just me in the room on the 2nd day onwards) including Dr's fees, Anesthetist fees and hospital charges- I had Dr Macor Wan and Dr Wan also looked after the baby too - no need to pay extra costs for paediatrician.

Dr Wan is very good and he visits me twice a day during my stay at the hospital!

limantari is offline Registered User

Insurance for Delivery

Dear Rani,

I have never heard any health insurance that cover the cost of delivery. What company did you join and what are the cover? I definetely interested to join for my 2nd one. I am now 34 weeks and going to deliver in St. Teresa Hospital, Kowloon. I prefer to deliver in 3 bed rooms ward since it is reasonably cheaper and not to crowded, however my OB said the room that I will get at that time depends on the availability, I may get upgraded or downgraded. The epidural cost in St. Teresa Hospital is 5K, do I normally have to pay extra for this? I see that you paid 16k for the anesthetician, which was really expensive. Please reply me. Thanks heaps!

Yuni

rani is offline Administrator
    Yuni,

I was actually covered with William Russell before. You get US$6500/pregancy, but you're not covered for the first 12 months. William Russell have increased their premiums and since then have switched to Health International. Premiums are lower and has better coverage. You can contact Pacific Prime for more info

http://www.pacificprime.com/

Regarding the epidural. Check if $5K includes the Anesthetist fees or is it only for the drug. Most of my friends paid $6K at the Matilda for the Anesthesiologist and $4K for the drug. We had D on a Sunday, hence $$$
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Sep2009 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I'm looking forward to having my first baby in Sep 2009. Looking for an estimate of the costs in private hospital/ private obgyn.

Thanks,

Sri

PS: Rani... this cost seem to be really off the current expenses

rani is offline Administrator
    Yes, this is what we paid 6 years ago. You should be able to check the maternity packages on the hospital sites (we will be adding them to Geobaby later this month) . Drs fees should be more or less the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast