Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sleeping problems !

scr
    scr is offline Registered User

Question Sleeping problems !

How do I handle this ? Been reading up on this subject and everyone seems to advocate the "let them cry it out" routine. It just doesn't work for me..I can't do that..tried twice and failed. The other option is learn to live with it....trying that but am so sleep deprived. Is there something else I can do ?

My son has come to depend on nursing to go to sleep. Rocking him helps but having to get up and nurse or rock too many times is just too much. He doesn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch. But a few days ago he slept for 6 hours and I was amazed. He's teething right now and could that be the reason he's waking up so frequently ? I'm sleeping right beside him so he's definitely not waking up because he wants me by his side !

Any suggestions ? Thanks

lamlam is offline Registered User

Try the "Baby Whisperer" Method

Hello,
    I think you should read the book called "The Baby Whisperer" (I think it is available here at the Geobaby.com), it is a great hit in the U.S.. It is written by a well known British mid wife (but she moved to the U.S. somehow). She suggested to put your baby in bed when he is still awake. You baby must learn how to fall asleep by himself. This skill is very important and can be trained at any age. She doesn't agree on the "cry it out" method. She suggests to put him in bed when he is awake, and if he stands up or protests, refusing to sleep in his own bed / cot, pick him up for a minute to calm him down and put him back down in his cot. Repeat until he falls asleep. She said she tried it on a stubborn toddler...the first nite she had to picked him up 140 times, the second nite 40 times, the third nite 7 times and the forth nite he went to sleep by himself. I tried this method on my daughter when she was 2 months old and it worked like wonders! I taught this method to my domestic helper to prevent "spoiling" my daughter by holding or rocking her to sleep. Now my daughter is an independent sleeper and I strongly recommand this book...it is just a life saver! Remember, be consistant and do not give up!

rani is offline Administrator
    Scr,

I couldn't let D cry-it out either, so don't worry you're not alone. You didn't mention how old your baby is? If he is teething, not to worry this phase will just pass naturally.

If you are interested in reading up on sleeping, another highly rated book is by Elizabeth Pantley's and is called the The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night

http://shop.geobaby.com/product_info...roducts_id=605
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Another good book is “Nighttime Parenting” by Dr. William Sears.

Nighttime Parenting is the book that will help you really help your baby to sleep better, not "train" her. It is for parents who are willing to have patience with their babies, and not try to force them into rigid patterns before they are ready. It was a book that really helped me when my eldest child was about a year old and constantly waking at night. I knew that I couldn't let my baby cry herself to sleep as so many other books and people recommend. When it comes down to really helping your baby takes time, and effort. It's not easy, but did we really choose to become parents because we thought it would be easy? After using the suggestions in this book, my baby did start to sleep for longer stretches than she was and not at the expense of her trust and our relationship.

Dr. Sears also has a great web site, http://www.askdrsears.com/, with a special section just about sleep problems, http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

The titles in this section are:
    8 Infant Sleep Facts Every Parent Should Know
    31 Ways to Get Your Baby to Sleep and Stay Asleep
    Bedwetting
    Hidden Medical Causes of Nightwaking
    Sleep Trainers: Buyer Beware!
    Night Weaning: 12 Alternatives for the All-Night Nurser
    Night Terrors
    5 Reasons Why High-Need Infants Sleep Differently
    Sleep Safety
    SIDS: The Latest Research on How Sleeping With Your Baby is Safe.
    Co-Sleeping: Yes, No, Sometimes?
    Frequently Asked Questions About Sleep Problems
    "Questions of the Day" about sleep

Hope this helps,
    Barb

scr
    Thanks everyone. My son is cutting 6 teeth all together and that is definitely the root of all the sleeping problems. I think I will wait until they are out before I go and buy all the books recommended. For now askdr.sears.com is helping.

Rani, my son is 17 months old now.

Thanks again

hkmummy is offline Registered User

Smile Sleepless

Hi scr,

Don't worry, you are not alone there. My little girl is just the same as your boy. She wakes up a few times a night and needs to fed til she falls asleep. I don't want to try 'controled crying' as I just can't let a little baby cry for so long. She's already 17 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night. I guess we just have to wait til they are older and I am sure things will get much better.

scr
    Thanks hkmummy,

I feel so much better now. Take care and good luck. :)

hkmummy is offline Registered User

Talking Sleepless mama

How are you scr? Did you get any sleep last night? My girl got up like every 2 hours! Is your boy active like my girl? She can spend hours and hours running around in the playgroup and still doesn't need much sleep, super baby eh!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast