Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Swimming lessons for infant

Peanut is offline Registered User

Question Swimming lessons for infant

Does anyone know of anywhere else besides the YMCA in TST that I can take my 6 month old son for "swimming lessons" or just for fun in an indoor pool, or maybe outdoor and heated......for my benefit too!
    I live on Lantau Island but would travel to a suitable pool.
    Thank you

michelle is offline Registered User

Thumbs up

you may try to contact ywca as follows:

Address : 1/F, No.1 Macdonnell Road, Central, HK
    Tel : 3476 1330 / 3476 1315

http://www.ywca.org.hk/pe/swimming/index_e.htm

rani is offline Administrator

Harry Wright and Playsport have classes for infants. They are listed in our resource directory.

http://www.geobaby.com/resources/Hon...ies/index.html

Rani

Last edited by rani; 08-26-2003 at 08:59 PM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Connie Wong is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Swimming lesson for infant

The ESF Educational Services provides excellent swimming classes for infants. Courses are held on Saturday morning. My baby started his swimming class when he was 9 months old and now he is not afraid of the water and can splash and swim a few steps. of course with me supporting his body. What is good about the course is that the instructor also teaches the parents what to do to help babies overcome thier fear of water. it's actually like a playgroup in the water.

you can contact them at 27111280 and they have courses in quite a lot of ESF schools all over Hong Kong.

babyblue is offline Registered User

You can also try Multisport or if you live near Tai Po there is the White Dolphin swim school in the Japanese Int School.

tinkerbelle is offline Registered User

As mentioned above, ESF have baby swim courses. I've enrolled my son in the autumn course. There's still a couple of weeks to register...

Here's the link to their autumn brochure: http://www.edservices.org.hk/sports/index.htm

babyblue is offline Registered User

Unhappy

My son started his swim lessons at ESF. He was in the 30-48 months group which does not have parents swimming with them. This is a bad idea - try asking a 3 year old who can't swim to go in the water with a complete stranger. I checked out the other courses offered by Multisports and YMCA. They insist on parents' assistance until about 5 when the kids can swim and are confident in water. I have wasted my money on the ESF course. I am better off taking him swimming in our buildings pool, but I was looking for a swim lesson so he could continue to swim during the winter months.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Swimming "lessons" for babies

There are heated public pools listed here:
    http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/LEISURE/LM/be...pool_info.html
    http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/LEISURE/LM/be...l_address.html

I was lucky enough to live in housing estates that had pools. I bought a "swim diaper" and would just take my babies into the pool with me to play and splash about.

It took a few years, but they were able to hold their breaths and swim a few strokes by the time they were 3 and both fully capable of swimmning in the deep-end by the time they were 5. No formal "lessons".

Now that they are older is the time for lessons (IMHO) otherwise it seems kind of like a waste of $, unless it's really a social scene you're looking for (nothing wrong w/ that...)

I think the real trick is to NEVER dunk your child wiuthout his or her permission, and never splash water into their faces. They should always feel safe in your arms. Once the trust has built up and they enjoy the water, then things move along.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast