Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

st.theresa hospital

bunda is offline Registered User

Question st.theresa hospital

Hi..
    anybody have any information bout St. theresa Hospital?
    thank u

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

Dear Bunda,

Check the hospital policies, especially if you are hoping to breastfeed. A friend of mine gave birth in St. Theresa's Hospital a couple of years ago. She wasn't allowed to breastfeed for the first three days because she'd had a C-section. (This is no reason not to allow breastfeeding.) Because of this bad start with the breastfeeding she never was able to successfully breastfeed and stopped trying after two weeks.

The hospital policy may have changed since she had her baby. Many hospitals are trying to become more breastfeeding friendly. Usually if a hospital allows 24-hour baby and mother rooming-in they are more breastfeeding friendly than if they don’t allow it.

One suggestion is to talk to the nurses on the ward about the usual hospital policy. Often the administrators and doctors will tell you what you want to hear rather than the real situation!

Best wishes,
    Barb

bunda is offline Registered User

Hi Barb,
    thank you very much for your information.

Aside from that, are the nurses there speak english?

thank you..

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I’ve not actually been in the maternity ward at St. Theresa’s Hospital. But when my younger son was four months old I had to have surgery on my hand at the hospital. I found the level of English about the same as usual in Hong Kong – good enough to understand and deal with the job but not really adequate to have long conversations about things like politics, etc.

I was still breastfeeding at the time of the surgery and when the anesthetist came to give me a pre-med I asked if the drugs were suitable for a breastfeeding mother. He decided that because the drugs were only to clam my nerves while having the surgery he would ask the sister of the ward to talk to me through out the surgery instead of giving me drugs. This is what happened. The sister’s English was excellent.

Barb

tinkerbelle is offline Registered User

I've been there once with my mum who got food poisoning whilst here on holiday. The doctor's english was excellent and the nurses' english was adequate. The care my mum received was very good.

I've heard that there is a new maternity ward there that is very impressive, but I haven't seen it myself. Maybe you could do a tour?

Lai San is offline Registered User

Dear Bunda,

My Chinese friend gave birth at St. Theresa's 20 months ago. She had a C-section and was encouraged to breastfeed the moment she's physically capable. The nurses were very helpful in guiding her and she ended up breatfeeding her son til he's six months old.

Lai San.