Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Helper for my helper?

scr
    scr is offline Registered User

I'm not sure mothers all over the world manage house, children and work without help whatsoever. The only luxury HK gives us is the 'live-in' maid. In most cultures there are grandparents and relatives helping out. Part-time maids, Nannys, Day-care centeres, Babysitters...they all help depending on which part of the world you are in. If there are women who are doing it all alone they are very very few.

twinkle is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone.

I have thought about getting a more efficient maid. The thing is that mine is so good with our baby. I keep hearing horror stories about maids who don't take care of the babies at all. She spends all day talking to her and making up games, which I really appreciate. As a result, my 15 month old has an incredible vocabulary (albeit with a Philippino accent).

My husband tries to help, but it's more like keeping the baby busy while I do the chores. It's nice, because I can have her around while I work and not worry about her getting into the cleaning supplies.

I've tried to get my maid to help me on Saturdays, but everything then takes 3 times as long, and she has a tendency to ruin things. I had to start hiding my laundry from her, because my work clothes kept getting bleached or shrunken. At least when I do things myself, the house will be clean by noon, and we can relax for the rest of the day. If she does things, she will be cleaning all day, so we don't have any rooms of the house where we can get some private family time.

It sounds like part-time help is my answer. I wonder if I can just get someone to do the cleaning and shopping a few days per week. If anyone has recommendations for trustworthy part-timers, I would greatly appreciate it.

alexday is offline Registered User

Wink

What nationality would you prefer ? Local (Hongkongers), Philippines etc ? Of course, the costs of the locals are more expensive for the same number of working-hours.

I know one local who might be available from mid Sept. onwards. Her number 9331-6488. She knows that you might call her. Simply interview her like any others since I don¡¦t really know her. I have met her a couple of times when I was on leave and while I was taking care of my baby. She seems trustworthy.

A

anna is offline Registered User

there is a book called the "helpers helper" and if your maid can read then please do both you and her a favour and buy her a copy!
    It will not only help you but will tell your maid what is expected of her. Teaches basic cooking, cleaning etc so she wont have an excuse to ruin anything anymore.
    I have been through quite a few helpers and trust me, those horror stories - i lived through it! Yes, it is essential to find a maid who spends quality time with your child, but be warned, if you let her, she will slack off! You HAVE to tell her what is expected and DO NOT feel guilty as she would have been well aware of this before working for you (did you ask for refrences from previous employers? what did they say?) Most maids will become lazy if you let them, i have learnt this from both my personbal experience and from friends. It may sound harsh but you are paying money so you can have quality time with your child - and NOT have to be doing household chores!! She should NOT be running off to her room and hiding.
    TALK to her, as it sounds she maybe unhappy -maybe misses home or finds it all to difficult for her. If she says nothing is wrong then proceed with the above.
    Good luck ;-)

rani is offline Administrator

Hi Anna,

Funny you mentioned the book "Helpers Helper". We'll be launching a new promotion shortly and will be giving out free copies to members.

Stay tuned for details!

Rani

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Chestermom is offline Registered User

Post Domestic Helpers needed here!

Hi,

I am a new member and am now seeking for a helper who can take care of my 11 months old baby urgently. Do anyone of you have a good referral of the agencies or from your existing maid?

your response and help is much appreciate.

chestermom

Fafa is offline Registered User

Please try Central Link Agency.

It is in Central (Wellington Street). I tried it twice and found the standard of their applicants were good. In fact, I hired my maids twice from it. Tel is 852 - 2851 0230, look for Miss CHENG (tell her is friend of Mrs Cheung who lives in Kornhill).

Please specify your requirements to them, say age, yrs of experiences in HK and with the same employer, etc. And they will do a first round screening for you to save your time.

Good Luck! :cheerlead

ACP
    ACP is offline Registered User

Hi Twinkle,

I am a bit late to this forum, but just came across it. Twinkle, I am in the exact same position. I have a 15 month old and a two-week-old and I am going back to work full-time around April/May, if not earlier. I am also looking for a part-timer to help my maid out as she has admitted she won't be able to cope. My maid has been good with the 15 month old, keeps a tidy, clean house, but needs constant guidance as she has no initiative. She has fallen to pieces since I've been home from the hospital and the last couple of weeks have been pretty trying. Now I know that it would be hard even for a mom to cope with running a house and looking after two babies, but I figure that's one of the perks of living in HK -- the help. Otherwise, I may as well go back to Oz and at least I can put my toddler in childcare a couple of times a week. Anyway, it was good to hear someone else having the same problems. I have started looking for part-timers. Would like to know if you have found one and how things are working out for you.

ACP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast