Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

babysitters

thiri is offline Registered User

babysitters

I'm expecting my first baby in 4 weeks and plan to return to work part-time when my maternity leave is over. I'm thinking about hiring a nanny and would like to know if anyone has used Rent-a-mum or other similar services.

Thiri

armstroe is offline Registered User
    I used rent-a-mum when I first moved to HK about 5.5 years ago - I believe it is still owned and run by the same woman. She was excellent, and the babysitters she arranged were lovely, usually had some early childhood learning background and were real "baby/kids" people.

The service is expensive, but depends on how you plan to use it. I know she can organise nannies, and a few years ago the salary was about $25K a month. I just used the babysitting service.

When we first got here and I was planning to work I had a 7 month old. I didn't have, nor felt very confident about the domestic helpers and so brought up a nanny from our home country. It didn't work out. The poor girl was very homesick and young.

Our helper joined us soon afterwards - she had a large family of her own and heaps more experience with babies. She's fantastic and is still with us.

aldougie is offline Registered User
    I also used Rent-A-Mum to hire a night nurse for a couple of weeks when my baby had colic and we needed some help. As Armstroe said the service is expensive but I would say that it was worth every penny - the woman (I've forgotten her name) that runs the service was super-efficient and Morva the nanny we had to help us was absolutely wonderful both with my daughter and myself. Couldn't have hoped for a better night-nurse and if I could have afforded it I would have hired her on the spot!

aohman is offline Registered User
    Thiri,

I happened to be reading the mums and dads forum on asiaXpat and came across a Scottish nanny, Morva, who is looking for employment.

Aldougie mentioned a "Morva" who was excellent, perhaps this is one in the same person.

She posted her contact as [email protected]. Do go online and check out her posting. It was dated October 7.

Good luck.
    Last edited by rani; 10-11-2003 at 11:17 AM.

thiri is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll certainly look into Renta-a-mum and Morva.

aldougie is offline Registered User
    Thiri - this is one and the same Morva that Aohman saw on Asiaxpat as I recognise her email address and there won't be too many Scottish Morva's in HK.

As I said she was excellent and if I could have afforded to go down the nanny route I would have employed her in a second!

Anyway good luck with your search and Morva.