Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Early Childhood Education

maya is offline Registered User
    I did so much for my first born and read mountains of books. I even went to Italy to visit the Reggio schools and Vancouver the Waldorf school...etc. honestly it doesn't make him smarter or dumber but actually educate me how I see children, how i handle day to day situation and what i should expect from them.

To my 2nd child, I don't do much with her since her brother is her best teacher. Children learn by imitating and their own experiences through senses. I like doing things WITH them so even cooking, doing housework, typing on the computer, children are learing and developing every second, so no more gym class, reading with children class, motherand toddler class...no.

personally i really like waldorf education. It gives me quite a different perspective. instead of rushing them to learn everything, I stop "TEACHING" them too many things. I slow down and take a different path. No TV, no computer, no plastic toys (actually less toys is better). Playing with all natural material like sand, woodsticks, stones...etc are far more better and creative. There are many books that you can find on the net to tell you how to be a Waldorf parent and what you do with your child. look it up.

stephchoy is offline Registered User
    This is an interesting thread....

I found it appalling that people would ask me what school I intended to put my daughter in the early days after I had just given birth to her. But I do understand in a competitive society like Hong Kong, parents are obsessed about their children getting a headstart. My mom's a part-time teacher who tutors English on the side and she has a hard time getting her students to concentrate because they are so exhausted from their swimming lessons, piano lessons, kumon and other miscellaneous activities.

From what I've observed about my own daughter, I think children have a natural curiousity and passion for life and I believe the most important thing I can do for her is not to stifle it but try to encourage it. My daughter has a roomful of toys, but she gets the greatest joy from bashing a wooden spoon against a plastic cup I've just handed her from the kitchen. She also loves taking things out of boxes. So we have containers with everyday household things (of course, nothing dangerous) that she can take out and explore. Her grandparents take her for walks in Hong Kong and Kowloon Park and she just loves observing other children playing.

It's the common day to day interactions that are important as well. Saying goodbye, hello and thank you. Teaching sociability and basic values. Definitely agree with you there, Shri. A lot of these things, it seems to me, comes from setting the example and creating a nurturing environment where children learn that it's ok to fail but be able to pick themself up again. Our family loves books as well so we spend a lot of time reading to her even though at this stage, her attention span is pretty short. Hopefully some of it sinks in.

Anyway, we try to let Zanna explore as much of her world unfettered unless it's something dangerous. These days I find that teaching her that there are limits is another challenge altogether. Any ideas on that would be welcome.

maya is offline Registered User
    I always find it hard is that when do we let them make their own decisions? when should we be firm? A friend told me that there were three issues that were not negotiable: 1, safety issue, 2, health issue, 3, learning issue.

If they have to go to bed at 8pm, this is non negotiable, (of course when they get older, we set the daily schedule with them so they have their input). If they need a shower, they take a shower. if there is dinner time, they just have to sit down and eat. When crossing the road, they must hold adult's hand and look at the light. They cannot touch socket and they must OBEY...etc. for example my daughter wants to wear her thin red shirt to go to school but refuse to wear anything else when it was 7 degree outside, then this is not acceptable. so I explain to her that she can wear her red shirt on top of some thicker undershirt. She didn't want to but sorry, either this way or no red shirt at all because it was cold outside.

sometimes i find that it is so hard to discipline children because i give them too many choices. yes, on one hand you want them to be creative, independent, and able to look after themselves, able to voice out their ideas, and then you also have them fighting for freedom on the other hand.

always explain the reason and be firm. Praise them when they follow. Small things like what color sweater to put on, the flavor of the toothpaste, which drawing to hang on the wall, they have absolute say and make their own choice.

A book called THE discipline book by Dr William Sears is very good. Since we all have different personalities and so as our children. We just have to try different methods even we follow what the book says. Some children are easier, some are harder.

emilyc is offline Registered User
    I started my son, now 10 months old, on the Glen Doman reading and maths program when he was 2 months old. I think it works. Most important, he enjoys it. He likes reading his cards more than playing with his toys. He also has very good concentration span, he can read cards for 15 minutes.

The Glen Doman method is supposed to work for kids even if you start late, say 6 years old. You may wish to try.

The Shichida thread is also interesting and offer some extra info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12