Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Qmh...horror Stories

rads is offline Banned

Qmh...horror Stories

Hi,

I'm planning to have my baby at QMH...end Feb.2004

Recently I've heard some horrible stories that have taken place there....

One mother asked for epidural and they numbed her from waist upwards....

Another of my friends......had her babies shoulder fractured while child birth....

Has anyone out there recently had a baby and how would u rate your exprience.....

Joyce is offline Registered User
    I had my baby at qmh last May at the height of SARS. I thought the quality of care that I had was very good (bearing in mind that qmh is a government hospital and not a private one). The staff could not have been more helpful. A couple of my other friends who have also had babie there would say same.

rads is offline Banned
    Thanks Joyce......

Karishma is offline Registered User
    I had my baby there last August and have to say the care was FANTASTIC! i cudnt have asked for better! the nurses/midwives were sooo helpful and so caring while i was in labour offering to rub my back etc etc...and the doctor!! omg!! he was THE BEST!! sooo good and so concerned! what i liked best abt them was they answered all questions without getting agitated or annoyed! i have been to pvt hosp to visit friends and the attitude of some of the nurses i hv experienced...i didnt experience any one with a negative atitude while i was there!

hope this helps
    Karishma.

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    Hi rads,

I gave birth at QMH over a year ago. The care and facilities is excellent. Even in private hospitals if something goes wrong they will take you to QMH. My only complaint was that they wouldn't volunteer much information unless you asked. Don't know if it was a language barrier or they are just plain overworked and couldn't really bother. Another thing was that I couldn't move out of bed for more than 24 hours and my baby was in the special care unit on account of fever. So I didn't see him for a long time and couldn't start breastfeeding right away. They didn't offer to help with pumping, I didn't know that facility was available and had a tough time with breastfeeding in the initial months. And this when I had mentioned in my birth plan that I want to bf. Some nurses were very helpful in getting bfding started but there was one who gave up quickly and took my baby away to bottlefeed him..that was irritating !

Hope it goes great for you and all the best.
    Regards

rads is offline Banned
    I have heard good things too...but nothing this year...thats why i was hoping someone had had a baby there this year....

kevin is offline Registered User
    Regarding the lack of information, this is the same in all government hospitals. They told us (at PWH) that they would only let us know if there was a problem and not when everything was OK. This was a bit worrying as my wife and baby were having all these tests and no one was letting us know the results unless we pushed them.

I can understand this must be a cost and labour saving excercise as they have to deal with many many patients every day, but it could be handled a bit better. I suppose "no news is good news"

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I am planning to give birth at QMH in a few weeks' time, and have also found it difficult to get information, such as about what items are permitted to take into the labour room (music? swiss ball? aromatherapy?) but I am gradually getting there.

One suggestion is to take the tour, on Saturdays at 12pm from 9/F of K Block. The woman showing us around wasn't very knowledgeable beyond the geography of the wards, but it was good to get a feel of the place which I thought is nice and colourful with a cheery atmosphere. We saw a midwife in the labour room who was answering questions, although we were not encouraged to do so!

I have also had useful responses to email enquiries, and Irene Lee, [email protected], has been very helpful.

I've also heard some positive stories from friends who have given birth there, and hopefully I'll have one of my own to add soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast