Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby's Shopping list

rads is offline Banned

Baby's Shopping list

Hello Expeienced Moms out there

I'd like to ask you what are the essentials really needed before the baby arrives.....

I've read all the baby books...but I'd like to know what you think was useful for you and your baby....

Thanks

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Baby shopping list

I would say that the essentials are:

* Nappies (if cloth, also buy Napisan)

* Onesies (don't bother w/ newborn size, the baby outgrows them in weeks [usually] - say 5 3-month to 6 month size. Since it's getting cold, I would recommend getting the long sleeved ones.

* 3 Receiving blankets

* a warm cap

* a small sun hat

* a sling or baby carrier

* a diaper bag (most come w/ a nice waterproof changing pad, so you don't need to buy a changeing table)

* nappy rash cream/ointment

*Baby soap (we liked Johnson's)

*A baby basket (borrow one from a friend if possible; unless you plan to sleep w/ the baby & then you don't need one)

* If you have a car, a baby car seat for newborns (rear facing)

*Feeding apparatus - if you're breastfeeding, breast pads for you; if you're bottle feeding, some bottles, nipples, and either sterilizing tablets or a steam sterilizer.

rani is offline Administrator

Also I would recommend

* a few sleepers for bedtime
    * a sleep positioner - to prevent baby from rolling onto their stomachs
    * baby nail clippers or scissors
    * gripe water in case of colic

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

aldougie is offline Registered User

And I would add to the list:

If you are going to breastfeed I would recommend getting some Lansinoh Cream - this was a godsend to me during the first 2 months of breastfeeding and can be bought from La Leche or Bumps to Babes.

Vaseline

Slings - definitely and I would also recommend a Baby Bjorn sling -we got a MacLaren first although husband found it fine I couldn't use it at all.

HV's now recommend that you don't use soap, bubble bath or talc until babies are one year old. We did use bubble bath and have used Johnsons without any skin problems at all.

I would say don't bother with a changing table - we did and it really was a waste of money! If you really do want one I would advise getting one with drawers that you can use to store clothes etc. in.

armstroe is offline Registered User

let your friends know you'd really like some Aromababy barrier balm. It smells divine and works a treat on protecting baby's bottom. I also use it under my baby's neck where rashes can develop. You can buy this range at B2B, also Seibu and Mothercare.

We didn't have a moses basket for my new daughter - I bought her a rocker and she slept in that for the first 8 weeks. It kept her fairly upright and helped a lot with the reflux. Plus we could just rock her to sleep and then leave her in her rocker...babies can use the rocker until they are sitting up independently (and have a tendency to lurch forwards).

I also second aldougie on the Baby Bjorn sling. They are terrfic. Wish they were around when I had my first baby.

Also good are really stretchy blankets that you can swaddle your baby up during the first three weeks. The Toto ones are good, although not very big. I also use muslin clothes, which also become a baby's comforter.

Another thing I used this time around that weren't around with my first are sleeping bags. As we are coming into winter, they will be more useful. B2B have a selection and I've also heard people recommend www.grobag.com. They are fantastic as babies get older and start rolling around in their cots and getting their legs stuck through the bars - basically solves this problem!

rads is offline Banned

That's soo much..mom's out there...I was not too keen on the changing table and looks like I'll do fine without one...

rani is offline Administrator

I wasn't sure about getting a changing table either, but I'm glad I did. I have a bad back and I'm sure I would have strained it further without the table. In the early days we were changing nappies every 2 hours.

I got a chest of draws from a store in Wanchai and put a mat on top. Came out a bit cheaper than the changing tables in the baby stores.

Here's a pic of what we have:

http://www.jaderattan.com.hk/e/produ...ail.asp?sku=33

Last edited by rani; 12-09-2004 at 03:21 PM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Stella is offline Registered User

I realy wanted to do a lot of walking with a stroller after our #1 was born. I recommend finding something where the baby can sleep flat, lots of the lighter strollers have a hard angle which is no good for baby. We bought a Peg Perego which has been great but it's a bit hard to fold down as it's a very large stroller.

I had no idea about skincare so ordered online a baby essential starter pack from Aromababy. It was delivered to home and contained only things recommended by a midwife. Before this I found the whole skincare thing very confusing.

For any clothes for baby, or blankets etc, keep with cotton.

Finally for baby nail scissors, get the really blunt ones as they still cut really well, but only the nails and not skin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast